Types of Aid

Financial Aid Office


Types of Aid

We encourage always encourage students to complete the FAFSA early. The early completion of the FAFSA for the opportunity to be awarded the items listed below. The awards are based on eligibility, as reported through FAFSA, and meeting our priority deadline.


Eligible students must be admitted, in good academic standing, and enrolled at least half-time in a program leading to a degree.

Federal Pell Grant is available for Undergraduate students working on their 1st Bachelor's Degree. Eligibility is based on information reported on FAFSA. There is a maximum allowed for Pell Grant eligibility, which equates to 12 full-time semesters (more information here).

Connecticut Grants or the Roberta B. Willis Scholarship may be available to full-time Undergraduate students working on their 1st Bachelor's Degree. You must complete the FAFSA by the priority deadline and demonstrate eligibility. 

All grant offers adjust if a students changes their enrollment status from full-time to part-time. Contact our office for more information. 

Federal Work-Study Program

The Federal Work-Study Program provides funds to employ students who qualify for financial aid. Students will be considered for an award by submitting their FAFSA by the priority deadline and demonstrating eligibility. Students awarded Work-Study may apply for part-time jobs throughout a variety of departments on campus.

Failure to secure a position after the start of the semester would result in cancellation of this award.

 Federal Direct Loan Programs

The Federal Direct Loan Program provides low-interest, long-term loans through the University. Funding for these loans comes from the Department of Education. These loans can be Subsidized or Unsubsidized.

Eligible students must be admitted, in good academic standing, and enrolled at least half-time in a program leading to a degree or certificate. 

Loan Types

Subsidized Stafford Loan (only for Undergraduates) & Unsubsidized Stafford Loan

What is the difference between Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans? 

What are the Maximum Loan Limits

First-time loan borrowers must complete the Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note (MPN) on www.studentloans.gov

Parent Plus Loan

A parent may choose to apply for a loan under their name to help with the cost of tuition. The loan amount is determined by the parent but it cannot exceeded the Cost of Attendance. The application is available through studentloans.gov. Please be sure to use the parent's information (SSN, DOB, FSA ID, etc.)

Instructions for Plus Loan (Parent and Graduate)

Interest Rate (2019-2020 academic year): Undergraduate Stafford Loans - 4.53% | Graduate Stafford Loans - 6.08 | PLUS Loan - 7.08%

Loan Origination Fee - Stafford Loan: 1.059% | Plus Loan: 4.236%

Repayment normally begins six months following graduation or if you cease to be enrolled at least half-time. This process will be handled between the borrower and loan servicer. Visit www.nslds.ed.gov to obtain your individual loan servicer. Please have your FSA ID ready. 

Private/Alternative Loans

Students may choose to borrow private loans outside of CCSU through a variety of lenders. We require students first complete the FAFSA and suggest utilizing those opportunities before opting for alternative loan options. 

For Private/Alternative Loans, visit Elm Select

Teacher Loan Forgiveness/Repayment Programs

For information regarding Public Service Loan Forgiveness, click here