Types of Aid - Financial Aid

Financial Aid Office


Types of Aid

We encourage everyone to complete a FAFSA. An early FAFSA opens the opportunity to Grant fund available through the University. Late applicants can still qualify for Direct Loans and Pell Grants, if eligible.



Eligible students must be admitted in a program leading to a degree, maintain good academic standing, and enrolled at least Half-Time.

Federal Pell Grant is available for Undergraduate students working on their 1st Bachelor's Degree. Eligibility is based on information reported through FAFSA. There is a limit to Pell Grant eligibility, which equates to 12 Full-Time semesters (more information here).

CT State University Grants or the Roberta B. Willis Scholarship may be available to Full-Time Undergraduate students working on their 1st Bachelor's Degree. You must complete the FAFSA by the priority deadline and demonstrate eligibility. 

All grant offers adjust if a students changes their enrollment status from Full-Time to Part-Time. Contact our office for more information. 

Federal Work-Study Program

The Federal Work-Study Program provides funds to employ students who qualify for financial aid. Students will be considered for an award by submitting their FAFSA by the priority deadline and demonstrating eligibility. Students awarded Work-Study may apply for part-time jobs throughout a variety of departments on campus - available positions posted here.

Failure to secure a position after the start of the semester would result in cancellation of this award.

 Federal Direct Loan Programs

The Federal Direct Loan Program provides low-interest, long-term loans. Funding for these loans comes from the Department of Education. 

Eligible students must be admitted in a program leading to a degree, maintain good academic standing, and enrolled at least Half-Time.

Loan Types

Subsidized Stafford Loan (only for Undergraduates) & Unsubsidized Stafford Loan (Sub/Unsub)

By applying for FAFSA, students are automatically reviewed for Stafford Loan eligibility. The two bullets below provide vital information for new and continuing loan borrowers. They explain the difference between Sub/Unsub Stafford Loans and how much a person may borrow in an academic year and lifetime. For example, a First-Year student is eligible for $5500, which splits half for Fall and Spring. No more than $3500 may be Sub. 

Interest Rates beginning July 1st:

  • Undergraduate | Sub/Unsub Stafford Loans: 2.75%
  • Graduate | Unsub: 4.3%  
  • PLUS Loans | Parent and Graduate Students: 5.3% (more information about these loans below)

To ensure first-time loan borrowers understand their rights and responsibilities with borrowing student loans, they must complete Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note (direct link in each blue button):

Entrance Counseling Master Promissory Note

PLUS Loan - available for Parents and Graduate Students

A Parent or Graduate Student may choose to apply for a loan to help supplement the cost of tuition and fees. In the Parent case, they, and not the student, are the borrower. The loan amount is determined the borrower but it cannot exceeded the Cost of Attendance. To learn more or apply, please click the button below: 

Instructions for Plus Loan (Parent and Graduate)

Loan Origination Fee - Stafford Loan: 1.059% | PLUS Loan: 4.236%

Repayment normally begins six months following graduation or if you cease to be enrolled at least half-time. This process will be handled between the borrower and loan servicer. Visit www.nslds.ed.gov to obtain your individual loan servicer. Please have your FSA ID ready. 

Private/Alternative Loans

Students may choose to borrow private loans outside of CCSU through a variety of lenders. We require students first complete the FAFSA and suggest utilizing those opportunities before opting for alternative loan options. Informative reading available here - Federal vs. Private Loans

For Private/Alternative Loans, visit Elm Select

Public Service Loan Forgiveness

For information regarding Public Service Loan Forgiveness, click here