Financial Aid Office


FAFSA 2020-2021: How to Get Started

STEP 1: What will I need?

You want to have your 2018 Federal Tax Return and 2018 W-2(s) available. 

An FSA ID is created or retrieved by visiting www.fsaid.ed.gov. The FSA ID acts as the FAFSA online signature, as well as the login for other federal websites.

For dependent students, an FSA ID is also required for the parent electronically signing the FAFSA. 

STEP 2: Complete the FAFSA - CCSU School Code: 001378

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is free and completed on www.fafsa.ed.gov. Avoid websites asking for payment. Charging a fee for completing and submitting the FAFSA is prohibited by law.

You can file the FAFSA prior to officially applying for Admissions. You may include up to 10 different schools.

You may file after our priority deadline of March 1. Aid will be limited to Direct Federal Stafford loans and Pell Grant, if eligible.

To be eligible for financial aid, a student must be matriculated at CCSU, a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen, and maintain a minimum Half-Time Status per semester.

CCSU will receive your application within 3 to 5 business after the date of submission. Corrections/updates are generally received within 2 business days.

STEP 3: What's Next?

This involves using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to import the tax information directly from the IRS (also known as Link to IRS).

The IRS Data Retrieval Tool allows students and parents to access the IRS tax return information needed to complete the FAFSA and directly transfer the tax data from the IRS website.

We highly recommend using the IRS Data Retrieval. It ensures accurate tax data and helps prevent delays for Financial Aid Awards.  

If you are ineligible, we may require a copy of your IRS Tax Return Transcript (or your parents' IRS Tax Return Transcript, if you are a dependent student), ordered from www.irs.gov. 

Ineligible to use IRS Data Retrieval Tool:

-married and filed Married Filing Separately

-married yet filed Head of Household

-filed an amended tax return (Form 1040X)

-filed a Puerto Rican or foreign tax return