Our first priority is the safety and well-being of our CCSU Community For that purpose, we have proactively instituted enhanced cleaning protocols in the C.J. Huang Recreation Center, adopted social distancing, and will be enforcing a mask requirement for our building. While maintaining focus on keeping everyone safe, we are continuing business operations and our facility hours are listed on the homepage of our website. In an effort to continue to provide fun and healthy programs to the campus population, we’ve added a NEW virtual programming section to our website.
We are optimistic that by working together with you, we can preserve your safety and ours, and help curtail the spread of coronavirus.
Campus Recreation Mask Policy
What is our mask policy?
The health and safety of our students is our #1 priority. We are committed to keeping the C.J. Huang Recreation Center clean and safe, which means instituting enhanced health protocol. Masks are now required while in the recreation center. This includes while students are exercising, entering and exiting the bathroom, and in-between machines and exercises on the gym floor.
Wearing a mask is proven to help reduce the spread of COVID-19, and as a strong believer in health and wellness, we are committed to ensuring the health and safety of the CCSU Community. We’d like to thank you in advance for your support and adherence to this policy. It is because of safety precautions like this, that will help us to remain open and keep you healthy and active.
Gaiter masks, bandana masks, and mesh masks are not allowed to be worn in our facility.
What if I prefer to not wear a mask, or I have a medical exception?
A mask is required to enter/exercise in the C.J. Huang Recreation Center. If you have a medical exception, please contact Student Disability Services. (https://www.ccsu.edu/sds/)
What if I forget my mask?
Unfortunately, we cannot permit anyone to enter our building without a mask. We do not have masks to hand out to patrons.
Do you have any tips on how to successfully work out with a mask?
- Choose a mask that feel comfortable for you, but still adheres to mask regulations.
- Try your best to control the cadence of your breathing.
- Include rest portions in your cardio workouts. Instead of doing a continuous run on the treadmill, take a minute to decrease the incline or speed to catch your breath.
Enhanced Cleaning Protocol
What is your cleaning schedule?
RECenter Cleaning Hours
Please note: (Each area will be closed during the designated time while cleaning occurs)
1:15pm -1:30pm Functional Fitness Area
1:45pm - 2:00pm Free weights Area
2:45pm-3:00pm Selectorized Equipment Area
3:15pm - 3:30pm Cardio Area
What are you doing to keep your student workers and gym-goers safe?
- Student workers and those who enter the gym are asked to keep a 6-foot distance between each other. To help with this, we have spaced out our equipment accordingly. In addition, everyone in the building is required to wear a mask at all times.
- When the C.J. Huang Recreation Center opens, our student workers will have gone through extensive training dealing with our enhanced cleaning protocol, as well as further sanitization policies and procedures.
- Touchless sign-ins are available by barcode on your Student ID.
- New signage will be placed around the recreation center that highlights our sanitization guidelines.
Do you have hand sanitizer readily available for student-use?
Yes! We have increased the amount of sanitizer stations throughout our recreation center.
Will you have equipment out of use?
Yes, in adherence with social distancing guidelines, there are pieces of equipment that will be marked out of use.
What can gym-goers do to stay safe?
- The CDC recommends you wash your hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and water before using equipment
- Remember to disinfect equipment before and after use
- Maintain a 6-foot distance between yourself and others.