At CCSU we strive to provide frequent opportunities for students to form friendships and connect with the campus community. Students have, and always will, come first, and student engagement during the Fall 2020 semester will be more important than ever after a long, remote spring semester. The Division of Student Affairs worked throughout the summer to develop virtual and limited in-person campus experiences with health and safety protocols in mind.
Updates from around campus
Take a look at the latest updates from our Student Life offices below, including the best way to get in touch with each office. This is an early list and it will be updated as we get closer to the start of the semester. We will share any new information with the campus community as soon as it is confirmed.
Students are welcome to call any of the offices listed below for more information. Each student club and organization also will have their own Microsoft Teams page.
Not sure who to call? Check in with the Office of Student Affairs at (860) 862-1601. For more information about the Office of Students affairs visit https://web.ccsu.edu/studentaffairs or call (860) 862-1601 to schedule an appointment.
The LGBT Center will have an on-ground and remote presence this fall. We are located on the third floor of the Student Center, accessible by elevator. The Center is usually staffed M-F 9:00 to 5:00. We can also meet with you virtually. Please email LGBT@ccsu.edu and we will make a plan to meet in our virtual lobby.
Upcoming events: Hispanic Heritage Week lecture with Evelyn Mantilla on Sept. 25; Rainbow Presentation, Oct. 9. Details on Pipeline.
New Student Programs
Orientation Leader virtual meet-ups for the summer have ended, but staff at the New Student Programs office are hosting office hours on Microsoft Teams to answer your questions. Office hours will be held on Tuesdays from 10 to 11 a.m.; Wednesdays from noon to 1 p.m.; and Thursdays from 3 to 4 p.m. If none of these times work for you, send an email to email@example.com or call (860) 832-1234.
Office of Equity & Inclusion
Contact: Call (860) 832-1652. Online: https://www.ccsu.edu/diversity.
The Office of Equity & Inclusion will offer a series of virtual programs during the Fall semester. More details, including dates and instructions for registration, will be available on the Office of Equity & Inclusion website when available.
Office of Victim Advocacy
Contact: Make an appointment with Victim Advocate Joanna Flanagan by phone at (860) 832-3795 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Students also can schedule a meeting by visiting the Office of Victim Advocacy bookings page here. Online: https://www.ccsu.edu/diversity/victimAdvocacy.html.
For the fall semester, victim advocate Joanna Flanagan is available to meet virtually and by phone. In addition, OVA will offer virtual drop-in office hours regularly during the week. The schedule for office hours and instructions for signing in will be posted to the OVA website when available.
Traditionally, the Office of Victim Advocacy leads the Red Flag Campaign every fall to raise awareness about healthy and unhealthy relationships. The Red Flag Campaign will take place again this year and we expect to offer many programs virtually.
Contact: Make an appointment by calling (860) 862-3734. Online: https://www.ccsu.edu/recentral.
- The C.J. Huang Recreation Center will be open to students any time during operational hours.
- ReCentral contact sports such as basketball or volleyball have been cancelled.
- All recreational programs hosted in person (on ground) will incorporate low contact with equipment as well as low numbers of participants at any given time. Hand sanitizer stations will be set up in programming areas, and all equipment will be sanitized between use by staff members.
- RECentral will continue to host online programs. With the success of the first Virtual 5k in May, plans are in the works for another “fun run” in addition to the continuation of other virtual events, including Step Club; weekly and monthly fitness challenges; Virtual Fitness Fridays on Instagram; Rec Book Club on Teams; healthy snack demonstrations; guided meditation; and self-care spotlights.
Upcoming events: Welcome back event: Aug. 26 (rain date Aug. 27); parking lot near the Huang Rec Center. Featuring social-distanced cornhole, Ladder Ball and Can Jam; Life Bowls Food Truck. Games will be spaced more than 6 feet apart. Masks required.
Contact: Call (860) 862-1660 to make an appointment. The meeting can be in person or virtual. Online: https://www.ccsu.edu/reslife.
- Inter Residence Council and the Residence Hall Councils will be conducted in a hybrid format. Voting members of each council will be able to attend meetings run by the elected e-boards. Meetings will be streamed via Teams so that they can remain open for residential students. Any group or person who has an announcement that they would like to have shared at an IRC or Residence Hall Council meeting must send an email to the IRC Gmail, CCSUIRC@gmail.com or to the residence hall director of the relevant building. The president or another member of the e-board will share the announcement during the meetings.
- Once a month, using Teams, IRC and each Residence Hall Council will host an open forum on Teams to allow students to share their concerns
- Dean’s Cup will resume with monthly events. The committee will meet weekly via Teams to plan in-person and virtual activities. Resident students will decide, plan, and implement these activities as they have in the past.
Upcoming events: IRC Labor Day Movie Night: Sept. 6, 7 to 9:30 p.m.; MCRH Multi-Purpose Room and across campus.
Dean’s Cup: Sept. 30, Oct. 29, Nov. 18; 7 to 9 p.m.
Student Activities & Leadership Development
Contact: Make an appointment by calling (860) 862-1990. The meeting can be in person or virtual. Online: https://www.ccsu.edu/sald.
- SA/LD will assist clubs and organizations with their online elections, as many were postponed this spring semester. We will work with new student leaders to update rosters and set permissions on The Link and Microsoft Teams. SA/LD also will work with clubs to ensure they are developing programs that can be both live and/or virtual.
- Week of Welcome: To build our students’ sense of connection to the University, several departments will collaborate on events that can be live on the ground, virtual, or both.
- SA/LD is researching guest speakers and films to supplement the education students receive in the classroom. The MOASIC Center and affiliated student-led organizations will explore programming around the topics of mass incarceration of people of color, immigration, and other topics that are brought forth from students.
Coming up: Club Fair during the first week of classes for new students and a larger event for returning students on Sept. 16.
Hours: Monday through Saturday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.; closed Sundays. Online: www.ccsu.edu/studentcenter.
Contact: Staff are available Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m. to support you! Make an appointment at https://bit.ly/StudentCenterBooking. You may also call (860) 862-1960 or chat with any staff member immediately by searching for their name on Microsoft Teams. The meeting can be in person or virtual.
The Student Center is open to students any time during operational hours.
This fall, the Student Center plans to offer several gaming events at Breakers game room and esports platforms, including bi-weekly tournaments and free-play options that have a virtual and/or in-person component.
The Student Center also plans to develop services and programs for commuter students to foster student connection and support student persistence, including a Microsoft Teams page organized by school/major.
Coming soon: A new “live chat” feature with staff.
Student Disability Services
Contact: Make an appointment by calling (860) 832-1951. The meeting can be in person or virtual. Online: https://www.ccsu.edu/sds.
Student Government Association
Contact: Online: https://www.ccsu.edu/sga
SGA will be fully operational and continue to meet every Wednesday at 3:05 p.m. on Microsoft Teams.
Student Rights & Responsibilities
Contact: Make an appointment by calling (860) 862-4010. Online: https://www.ccsu.edu/studentrights.
Meetings and hearings will be conducted through WebEx.
Contact: Make an appointment by calling (860) 832-1869. The meeting can be in person or virtual. Online: https://web.ccsu.edu/veteransaffairs.
Contact: Call (860) 862-1948. To reach Student Wellness Services, call (860) 862-1925. Online: https://web.ccsu.edu/healthservices/oade.
Wellness Education is planning to host events online and in person this fall, including a COVID-19 health and safety program.