Student Union Board of Governors Minutes
| Student Union Home |
MINUTES - Friday, Febuary 21, 2003
F. Mendoza, J. Smith, M. White, S. Kluge, C. Carvalho, M. Roache, D. Anderson,
N. Hajid, C. Handzel, S. Rich, D. Orloske, S. Sweeney, R. Bachoo, J. Jost, N. Newman,
W. Garosshen, M. Makoski, C. Taggart
Mr. Mendoza called the meeting to order at 1:09 p.m. in the 1849 Room of the Student Center.
Mr. Mendoza asked to change the agenda so that
ratifications could take place before doing other business. Seeing no
objections he requested a motion to ratify the representatives from the Mosaic
Center and IRC.
- To ratify representatives from both the Mosaic Center
and IRC to the Board for the remainder of the 2002-2003 academic year.
Caitlin Corriveau – Mosaic
Julia Baldini - IRC Representative
Mr. Mendoza then went to the Program Council Report so that
the proposal for constitutional changes could be considered early in the meeting
to ensure the required 2/3 quorum.
Mr. Smith then gave a
summary of his written report on Program Council activities highlighting the
events that occurred in the past month. He then gave the floor to Ms. Carvalho
to present the proposed changes to the SUBOG Constitution related to the
structure of Program Council. Ms. Carvalho indicated the committee had taken
the comments from the last meeting and made needed corrections to ensure proper
checks and balances in the proposed new structure. She then went over each
section and paragraph of the proposed changes. She also indicated they prepared
and were presenting a list of all of the changes in names and titles throughout
the constitution that would be needed should the new structure be approved. Ms.
Carvalho stressed that the compelling reasons for proposing the changes were to
provide the program board a more flexible structure so that it was more
respondent to campus activity needs but at the same time maintain needed
accountability to provide the campus a balanced and well rounded program
calendar. Mr. Hermelbracht, Assistance Director of SA/LD, added that the
proposals were modeled after similar structures at other schools that have
proven very successful in improving participation in the volunteer program
- To amend the constitution of the Student Union Board
of Governors under Article 9.0 – Programming Body, as proposed, as well as the related
changes in names and titles in all other sections of the constitution.
Mr. Mendoza then indicated he had included in the packet a
description of charge for each of the standing committees and asked the
committees to meet for a few minutes to discuss their mission and goals for the
remainder of the year as well as set new meeting times. The committees then
formed and met for approximately 15 minutes. Mr. Mendoza then asked each
committee chair to report.
Ms. Anderson reported that the primary goal for the
semester is to develop guidelines for expenditures from the new SUBOG account,
now being funded from vending commissions in the building. She indicated that
their first meeting would be on March 7 at 1:00 p.m. where they will discuss the
Student Services Committee
Ms. Carvalho reported that the committee had set their
meetings for February 6 and 21. She indicated that at that meeting they would
discuss projects for the remainder of the year.
Ms. Garosshen reported
that the committee’s next meeting would be on March 14 where they will discuss
location of art in the building as well as needed labels for them and for rooms
throughout the building. She also indicated that a proposal for murals in
various parts of the building would be reviewed.
Mosaic Center Committee
Ms. Corriveau reported that the Center had a brown bag open
house event that was very successful. Also, they plan to assist with
programming related to the Diversity Week announced by President Judd at the
beginning of the semester.
Student Center Renovation Update
Mr. Orloske gave an update on the Student Center mentioning art installation and final minor repairs that were done over the winter break. He indicated that the loose ends were being wrapped up and hoped that unresolved issues would be addressed within the coming month.
Ms. Sweeney indicated that on March 19 a meeting with
student organizations would be hosted by SA/LD and the Student Center to discuss
and make requests for facilities for the fall and spring semesters for the next
academic year. This would be a mandatory meeting and the hope was that student
organizations would take advantage of this opportunity to plan for next year’s
programs and meetings.
Announcement & Open Floor
A concern was expressed that the exit doorway in Semesters going to the parking lot did not have a doormat. Mr. Orloske indicated that though some people had been propping the door for others to come in, it was never intended as an entryway. Hence, there was no airlock to assist in keeping out inclement weather. He indicated that though it may be more convenient for some people to enter through this door, the building was designed to have only three public entries in order to maintain security and decrease maintenance problems that plagued the old building as it had so many entryways.
A discussion ensued regarding posting on hallway office windows as well as general posting spaces for clubs. Mr. Orloske indicated that though the windows were part of the offices there were no policies currently in place that would allow clubs to post on them. He questioned where such space was needed as the offices on the second floor had large posting spaces in the halls as well and many posting spaces on the first floor, many of which were not currently being used to advertise at this point. Mr. Orloske also pointed out that posting on the windows overlooking the lobby in the old building was not permitted.
This is the closest we currently have to a policy regarding these windows in our current building and it was based on this that he asked organizations to stop this practice. He suggested that if clubs think such posting is needed, that they submit a request to the SUBOG House Committee to review the current policy.
Mr. Mendoza said he would have the updated contacted list
of SUBOG members at the next meeting. The next meeting will be on Friday, March
Meeting adjourned at 1:55 p.m.
Duane A. Orloske