Student Union Board of Governors Minutes

| Student Union Home |

__________________________________________________________________
 

Student Union Board of Governors (SUBOG)

Minutes for Friday, March 30, 2007, 1849 Meeting Room

Present:  A. Estrom (Chair),C. Bombria, C. Brine, C. Zohlman, D. Lynch, S. Martinez, A.Taitague, D. Orloske, S. Sweeney, M. Garofalo, K. Poirier, K. Barone, C. Whitmoyer, I. Ceballos, J. Ceja

Absent:  L. Yeomans, D. Macchiaroli, E. Tuttle, J. DiPlacido, O. Mamed, M. McDonald, S. Oates, S. Trowers, M. Toston, J. Higgins, R. Bachoo 


Mr. Estrom called the meeting to order.  He welcomed all and asked that the minutes from the previous meeting be approved.
 

MOTION (C. Zohlman/C. Whitmoyer)                                                               SUBOG 2007-21  

To approve the minutes of the February 23, 2007, meeting as attached

Motion Passed:  12-Yes         0-No                0-Abstained

 

MOTION (C. Brine/K. Barone)                                                                         SUBOG 2007-22

To ratify Javier Ceja as SGA Freshman Senator

Motion Passed:  12-Yes         0-No                0-Abstained                                                   

 

CAN Report

C. Bombria presented the CAN Report (see attached).

Mosaic Report

S. Martinez reported on the activities of the Mosaic Center Committee.  The committee will sponsor Mosaic Lens Photography Contest.  Participants will submit pictures they have taken of campus with their own camera.  The prize will be a gift certificate to a multicultural restaurant.  

House Committee

Devil’s Den was painted and wainscoting was placed on the walls by the booths.  The committee will meeting again soon to review LED light costs and a lighting board.  D. Macchiaroli was to present a report bit could not make the meeting.  A suggestion was made to putting a LED board near Alumni Hall as well as in the hallway on the way to the Information Desk.

O. Mamed and K. Poirier attended ACUI.  Some discussion took place regarding information taken at the conference.  O. Mamed will provide info at a later meeting.

D. Orloske reported on the floor on the first floor of the Student Center (entrance of Devil’s Den door through to the Bookstore).  Possibly the tile linoleum will be replaced by ceramic tile.  A request was placed to replace a pattern in a similar color to what is currently there.  The Devil’s Den tile floor will not be replaced because the condition of it is not a bad.  Summer 2007 or summer 2008 is the projected time frame to replace the floor.

Student Services Committee Report

A. Taitague gave the report as chair for this area.  Two Commuter Coffee Programs will take place (April 13 and April 17).  Volunteers are needed to help with the program

Budget Committee Report

S. Sweeney reported that there will be much to discuss at the next meeting.                                                          

Old Business

No old business.

New Business

No new business

Announcements                                                                                                                     

-Devil’s Den 10PM feature events on April 12 will be a “Talent/No Talent Show,” an egg hunt and photo novelties

-Devil’s Den spring week events were announced

-D. Orloske discussed the new food plan.  Meeting with Sodexho to discuss the new food plan to take place fall 2007 or spring 2008.  The plan is to have one food plan for all called the TruBlue All Access Plan.  With a valid BlueChip card the cost will be $1,699 which equals 19 meals/week plus 10 guest meals with no limit on servings.  Most students will find this a cost savings.  There was discussion of a plan to renovate in Memorial Hall to make a food court and run it more like a retail operation.  D. Orloske requested feedback from students regarding the package.  The University incentive is that anyone using a BlueChip card at any retail operation on campus will receive a 20% discount off purchase.  The new food service plan would be commuter friendly.  Sodexho has fixed the cost wanting to increase sales in the retail operation as a marketing opportunity.  If sales at Devil’s Den increase due to reduce cost then potential outcome is that it could decrease cost of residential plan.  Plan (silver/gold) is in place at ECSU.  D. Orloske has had conversation with people who have implemented the program.  The only regret is they did not put it in place sooner.  IRC will meet on 4/15 in Bellin A/B.  D. Orloske will make a presentation to IRC.  He encouraged people to attend the meeting to hear more regarding the food plan.

-Dunkin’ Donuts – on 4/5 Student Center staff, Dunkin’ Donuts’ representatives, physical plan staff and Jack O’Leary from the Bookstore will meet and discuss the feasibility of the site suggested which would be the area near the Bookstore.  The easiest way to go is through Sodexho because they have a contract agreement with Dunkin’ Dunuts. 

-SUBOG Recognition is May 1, 2007, in Alumni Hall.  May Madness will be similar to the “March Madness” basketball theme.  Show your CCSU school spirit.

-There was discussion regarding SUBOG elections.  A. Estrom will not run as chairperson.  Currently K. Barone is interested in the position.  If interested, please step forward now, make a nomination or see O. Mamed or A. Estrom.  Elections tabled until the next meeting.  Nominations were made.
 

MOTION (S. Sweeney/C. Whitmoyer)                                                               SUBOG 2007-23

To nominate K. Barone as SUBOG Chair

Motion Passed:  12-Yes         0-No                0-Abstained
 

MOTION (J. Ceja/I. Ceballos)                                                                          SUBOG 2007-24  

To nominate S. Martinez as SUBOG Chair

Motion Passed:  12-Yes         0-No                0-Abstained

MOTION (C. Brine/S. Martinez)                                                                        SUBOG 2007-25

To nominate C. Zohlman as SUBOG Chair

Motion Passed:  12-Yes         0-No                0-Abstained

                                                                                                                       

The next meeting will be April 20, 2007.  A tentative meeting is scheduled in May to ratify new members.

-C. Whitmoyer announced IRC will meet April 9 for elections.  There are three people running for every position.  They are doing a silent auction as well as the fall auction.  On May 3, Mr. CCSU contest will be held.  All hall presidents will run this program.  Participants will take part in talent, tuxedos, swimsuit, casual and dance competition.  S. Sweeney suggested judges should reflect men and women.  CCSU IRC was named School of the Year at the regional conference.

-C. Brine reported on SGA elections.  Sign ups are now happening; elections dates are April 24 & 25.  All positions are open.  SGA will host a club dinner on Monday, April 2, for Presidents and Treasurers.  There will be discussion regarding a proposal for a new process for all club budgets.  S. Sweeney suggested that if you hear negative feedback to please share it with C. Brine and J. Ceja.  This new process is historic; it’s incredible.  So instead of rich staying rich and poor getting poorer clubs will have to defend why they need the money,


Respectfully submitted, 

Katherine Poirier for Wayne Otis Mamed

Executive Secretary, SUBOG 2006-2007


/mz

 

[Print]