AboutAcademicsAdmissionsAlumni and FriendsAthleticsCampus Life
Home >
Finance > Travel > Policies and Procedures > Moving Expenses
page tools :

Policies & Procedures

Staff Listing | Policies/Procedures | Exhibits | Home


Processing Reimbursement For Moving Expenses

It is Board of Trustee and University Policy that only the President is authorized to offer partial reimbursement for out-of-state moving expenses for prospective employees (BR #07-43). This authorization must be in writing. The President's approval must be received prior to the department making any offer of reimbursement to the candidate. This approval happens through the appropriate Dean or Administrative Department Head, and then through the Provost or Chief Officer.

Moving expenses reimbursement requests must be submitted for processing to the Travel Department in accordance with the following:

The employee must provide a completed and signed Employee Voucher, which may be downloaded at: http://www.finance.ccsu.edu/Travel_Office/exhibits/forms/pdf/Employeevoucher.pdf

The employee must provide the original copy of all applicable receipts, showing a zero balance or indication that payment has been made.

The Employee Voucher and accompanying receipts must be separated into two categories: 1) Transportation/Storage and 2) travel and lodging as detailed below.

Only Internal Revenue Service (IRS) qualified moving expenses may be reimbursed. Qualified moving expenses are those that would be deductible by the employee as a moving expense if they had been directly incurred by the employee.

Qualified moving expenses within the IRS Moving Expense Publication 521 rules include only: (1) the reasonable expenses of moving household goods and personal effects from a former residence to a new residence and (2) the reasonable expenses of traveling (including lodging) from a former residence to a new place of residence. Meals are not considered a qualified moving expense. The reasonable expenses of moving household goods and personal effects include the actual charge for transportation of household goods and personal effects, charges for packing, and charges for in-transit storage.

The reasonable expenses of traveling include only one trip made by the employee and members of his/her household. It is not necessary that they all travel together or at the same time. If the employee uses his own car(s) for transportation, mileage incurred on or after July 1, 2012 will be paid at the rate of twenty three cents per mile for the most direct route available. Mileage will be determined through the use of the web site "Mapquest" (www.mapquest.com).

In accordance with IRS Moving Expense Publication 521, the Employee Voucher must list two qualified moving expenses categories: (1) Transportation and/or storage of household goods and personal effects: (2) Travel and lodging payments. DO NOT INCLUDE MEALS. Supporting documentation must be separated into these same categories.

Qualified moving expense reimbursements are not subject to withholding taxes or retirement contributions and are paid through the payroll system.

Questions regarding these procedures may be directed to Deborah Peterson, Fiscal Administrative Assistant, Extension 22549.

email page print page small type large type large type
powered by finalsite