AboutAcademicsAdmissionsAlumni and FriendsAthleticsCampus Life
Home >
Finance > Travel > Policies and Procedures > Car Rental and Other Transportation
page tools :

Policies & Procedures

Staff Listing | Policies/Procedures | Exhibits | Home


Car Rental and Other Transportation

In general, all rental vehicles should be booked through the current State Travel Agent. The request must be justified in writing and will be considered if public transportation is unavailable or if automobile rental results in a cost savings, which must be documented by the traveler and included as part of the justification. 

The request for automobile rental must be made on a Policy Exception Form (Exhibit H) and attached to the Travel Authorization form (Exhibit A).

All employees authorized to rent an automobile must submit the Declaration Page of their current automobile insurance policy to the Travel Office prior to travel. The document must show the policy limits and must meet the same minimum liability of insurance required by the State of Connecticut’s regulations governing the use of personally owned vehicles used for State business as published by DAS Fleet Operations (General Letter 115). Those minimums are: 

Bodily Injury Liability: $50,000 each person/$100,000 each occurrence and $5,000 in property damage, or in lieu of, $105,000 minimum for bodily injury and property damage. 

Automobile rental will not be allowed or reimbursed without the current insurance policy on file to support that minimum liabilities have been met. An insurance card is unacceptable proof of minimum liabilities since the limits of coverage are not shown on the card. 

Collision and personal accident insurance offered by the rental company must be purchased by the employee. The cost for this will be reimbursed as a regular travel expense. 

Reasonable use of taxis, airport limousines and similar transport to and from the airport or common carrier terminal and the conference site will be reimbursed at cost if included on the Travel Authorization. The lowest cost option should be chosen. Receipts are required if the cost exceeds $25.00.

Cost of taxis to and from places of lodging to take meals, is part of the incidental expenses component of the meal per diem and is not reimbursable.

email page print page small type large type large type
powered by finalsite