AboutFaculty and StaffAcademicsProspective StudentsCurrent Students

Advisor, Advising, Alternate Pin Numbers, Dropping, and Withdrawing from classes FAQs

Question: What is the purpose of the alternate pin number?
Answer: Alternate Pin numbers are designed to ensure that a student meets with his/her academic advisor and receive advising before registration.

Question: When do I get issued the number?
Answer: The number is given to you after meeting with your advisor for a course-selection conference each semester. The advisor gives you your Alternate PIN number, which allows you to register for courses.

Question: Who is my Advisor my advisor?
Answer: If you are undeclared or a first-semester Freshman, you should go to The Center for Advising and Career Exploration in Willard Hall 130. Once you have declared a major, that department will assign you an academic advisor. You can access you advisor's name through CentralPipeline. Or you Contact your academic department or the Academic Student Center (ASC) to get the name of your advisor.

Question: Can I obtain the number via e-mail or phone?
Answer: No, the Alternate Pin number cannot be given out on the phone or by e-mail.

Question: What happens if lose my pin number?
Answer: You can contact your advisor, the Academic Student Center (ASC) (if you have received prior advising) or your department (if you have received prior advising) to get your pin number. If you contact ASC or your department, you must show proof that you have met with your advisor.

Question: Is this the number I will use for registration as long as I am a student at the University?
Answer: No, the number changes from semester to semester.

Question: When and where can I drop classes?
Answer: You can drop classes by completing a drop form in registrar's office during the first three weeks of the semester.

Question: When and where can I withdraw from classes?
Answer: You can withdraw from classes by completing a withdrawal form in the registrar's office between the third and the twelfth week of the semester. A "w" will show on your record. Beyond the twelfth week there must be proof of extenuating circumstance to get a withdrawal.

Question: How can I get enrolled into a class that is closed?
Answer: You have to talk to the chair of the department offering the course to get a capacity override.

Question: How do I get a prerequisite override?
Answer: You have to talk to the chair of the department offering the course to get a prerequisite override. You must show proof that you have the perquisite for the course.
email page print page small type large type large type
powered by finalsite