How To Define Leadership
- Leadership = Conviction in Action
- From Deeper Learning in Leadership: Helping College Students Find the Potential Within, Dennis C. Roberts
is a relational process of people working together to accomplish change
or make a difference that will benefit the common good.” – Exploring Leadership
- What is your definition? Spend some time thinking about what it means to you to be a leader.
How To Run an Efficient Meeting
- How Not to Run A Meeting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp6H8XMf5ec
- 8 Steps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtMDgnXyDC8&NR=1
- Cute AND useful! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XkgahaFJ2k&feature=related
- Use icebreakers, especially in the first meetings, to make the group feel comfortable with each other.
- Have an agenda, send it to e-board or members beforehand
- Have a good location – someplace quiet, semi-secluded
- Keep the group on task – don’t waste time, don’t go over time.
HowTo Promote Your Club or Club Events on Campus
- Posters in the student center
- Collaborate with other organizations
- Sponsor a Devil’s Den @ 10PM
- Take advantage of services provided by Graphic Designers: http://stdctr.ccsu.edu/design/
HowTo Market at CCSU
- Be prepared- Have details set.
- Use your resources
- Target your audience
- Shameless Plugging!
Get Creative! What is going to grab peoples’ attention?
- Clever Names for Events
- Campus TV and Radio
- Mini-Events leading to large event
- Street Team
- Table tents, Sidewalk Chalk
- Any food or candy with advertisement stickered on the back, Coffee Cup sleeves with advertisement on them.
- Advertising in bathroom stalls (Tinkle Times, Toilet Times, etc) or showers
person advertisement (for example- A Street Team, or if you are having
a ghost hunter have someone put a sheet on and advertise the event!)
How To Increase Club Membership
- Posters and Tabling in the student center
- Advertise meetings/events on Today@CCSU (the campus event calendar – Check it out!)
- Register for the club fair every year
- Communicate with WFCS about possible commercials
- Collaborate with other clubs!
How To Foster a Welcoming Team Environment for all Members
breakers and teambuilding activities can create a fantastic team and
working environment. Spend a meeting doing these activities, getting to
know each other. Continue through the semester.
- Plan a retreat where you can do more in depth ice breakers and team building activities.
- If you need help thinking of ice breakers, stop into SALD! We can help!
- Check out these websites!
How To Hold Elections under Abnormal Circumstances
- Normally, follow constitution guidelines
- If you need to, be creative
o Survey Monkey
o Wait for next meeting with quorum attendance
- Always allow candidates to write a blurb and express their interest in the open position
- Make sure club membership is content with this irregular election process
- Have president and other board member count votes to be fair
How To Transition between Old and New Club Leadership
- Officers can make binders to be passed on to new leadership
- New officers can shadow old officers before their term begins
- Hold meetings with new and old leadership to discuss
o Current year’s goals
o Progress in achieving goals
o Future goals
o General planning for the year
o Major events
o Successes? Failures? What can we do better?
How To Learn More about You
- Myers Briggs (There are tons of different abbreviations online – google that!): http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp
- Miscellaneous Personality Tests: http://similarminds.com/
- Myer Briggs: http://similarminds.com/jung.html
- Famous Leader Test: http://similarminds.com/leader.html
- Get feedback from a supervisor or club advisor. Have regular developmental conversations!
- World’s Fastest Personality test, just for fun!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHF0VXPanU8
How To Learn More about Student Leadership
- The Student Leadership Challenge, Kouzes & Posner
o Model the Way
o Inspire a Shared Vision
o Challenge the Process
o Encourage the Heart
o Enable Others to Act
- Check out the Fish! Philisophy
o Be There
o Make Their Day
o Choose Your Attitude
- Deeper Learning in Leadership: Helping College Students Find the Potential Within, Dennis C. Roberts
- Inspiration for Student Leaders: Encouragement, Humor and Motivation FOR Student Leaders BY Student Leaders
- Exploring Leadership: For College Students Who Want to Make a Difference, Susan R. Komives, Nance Lucas, and Timothy R. McMahon
- Association of College Unions International: acui.org
- National Association for Campus Activities: naca.org