AboutAcademicsAdmissionsAlumni and FriendsAthleticsCampus Life
Home >
!_Redirects > Veteran's Affairs > Educational Benefits & Support Services Information > Process of Applying for Veterans Education Benefits
page tools :

Process of Applying for Veterans Education Benefits

1)  File an application for educational benefits with the Department of Veterans Affairs (www.gibill.va.gov).

If you have received benefits at a previous school, you must submit a "Request for Change Program or Place Training" form (VA form 22 - 1995).  If you have NEVER used your benefits before you must submit an "Application for Education Benefits" (VA form 22 - 1990) along with your DD-214 and/or your "Notice of Basic Eligibility" (DD form 2384, if a National Guardsmen) and a copy of your contract if you are eligible for the college fund (kicker) to the Buffalo VA Regional Office (Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office, 130 South Elmwood Avenue, Buffalo, NY  14202).

Note: Chapter 35 will file VA form 22-5490, Application for Survivors' and Dependents Educational Assistance. Chapters 30, 32, 33, 1606, and 1607 will file VA form 22-1990, Application for Educational Benefits. Students applying for chapter 31 will need to contact the Vocational Rehabilitation representative for authorization to receive benefits. As an activated reservist, if you attain eligibility to change from Ch. 1606 to Ch. 1607 (REAP), please complete VA form 22-1995.

2)  Once accepted to CCSU, you must s
ubmit a copy of your DD-214 and/or N.O.B.E. and a copy of your VA Certificate of Eligibility to the Office of Veterans Affairs, located in Willard Hall, Room 133. 

Note: Dependents do not file a DD 214 but you must have your father's social security number to apply for benefits.

3)  Once you are registered for classes and have applied for your veterans education benefits, you must contact the Office of Veterans Affairs, Chris Gutierrez, 860-832-AVET (2838)  or 
gutierrezc@ccsu.edu, for an enrollment certification to be submitted to the regional office. 

Veterans are certified only for those classes that are required for their degree program. It is your responsibility to take at least 12 hours of degree required courses to qualify for full-time benefits (9 hours is considered full-time for graduate study). If you take less than 12 hours, you should make sure that all courses are required in your program. Audited courses and correspondence courses do not count as part of your course load in qualifying for benefits.  If you change from full-time to part-time status you must file this change with the Office of Veterans Affairs.  

Note: Certify your enrollment to the regional VA Office for processing can initially take up to 12 weeks. 

Veteran's Affais  I  VA Educational Benefits  I  Veterans Drop in Center  I  Veterans Appreciation Organization

email page print page small type large type large type
powered by finalsite