Undergraduate Catalog 2009-2011

Transfer Student Admissions

For transfer admissions, an applicant must have earned a minimum of 12 credits (not including remedial work) at regionally accredited post-secondary institutions and have a cumulative college grade point average of 2.00 or higher for all course work attempted. Transfer students who have earned a minimum of 12 credits need not submit SAT I scores with their application.

A student wishing to transfer to Central Connecticut State University from another institution of higher learning must complete an application for admission online at www.ccsu.edu/admission and have official transcripts sent directly from each post-secondary school attended. Hand-carried transcripts and transcripts sent by students are considered unofficial, even when they carry the college seal or signatures that are placed on official records. Failure to list all institutions or to provide official transcripts may be considered sufficient reason for refusal of admission or dismissal from the University. Transfer credit may not be awarded at any time for course work not listed or not included on official transcripts provided as part of a completed application.

Connecticut Community College Transfers with Associate Degrees
All graduates from transfer programs of the community colleges of Connecticut who have earned an associate's degree with a minimum 2.00 GPA are admissible to Central Connecticut State University. Transfer credits will count toward degree requirements as determined by equivalency to CCSU courses. A minimum of two additional years of full-time study is required to complete a baccalaureate degree. Qualified students may also be admitted prior to conferral of the associate's degree.

Transfer applicants holding the associate's degree from the Board of State Academic Awards (Charter Oak State College) are also admissible to CCSU.

Students considering transferring to CCSU are advised to submit an application at least three months prior to the semester in which they plan to enroll.

Transfer Compact Agreement
The Transfer Compact Agreement is between the four universities in the Connecticut State University System (CSUS) and the Connecticut Community College System. The Transfer Compact is for students who identify early in their college careers that they wish to earn bachelor degrees at one of the universities after completing associate's degrees at one of the community colleges. The admissions and advising staffs at the sending and receiving institutions will work closely together and with Transfer Compact students to ensure that appropriate coursework is completed and accepted upon transfer to one of the CSUS universities. For more information regarding the Transfer Compact Agreement, please contact the office of Academic Articulations and Partnerships (860-832-2285) or visit their website at www.ct.edu/dual.

Transfer Credit Evaluation
The evaluation of official transcripts is done after a student has been accepted. This Transfer Credit Evaluation will convert other systems to semester hours and indicate the number of previously earned credits that are acceptable for transfer to Central Connecticut State University. In general, credits from other regionally accredited colleges and universities will transfer, provided that the courses are similar in scope and content to those offered for credit at CCSU and a grade of "C-" or better was earned in the course. Developmental or basic course work will not be accepted. All academic courses with a passing grade (D- or higher) will transfer from Eastern, Southern, or Western Connecticut State Universities. Pass/fail courses are generally not eligible for transfer credit, except for recreation/physical education courses from any institution and all courses from Connecticut State University institutions. Specific questions concerning transfer evaluations should be addressed to the office of Admissions. Please note, regardless of the number of credits transferred, a student must complete a minimum of 45 credits at CCSU in order to earn the University's bachelor's degree (see Academic Standards and Regulations: Residence Requirements for Degree). Students currently enrolled in another college should have their official final transcripts submitted to the office of Admissions after their grades have been posted so that their evaluation can be updated. Failure to indicate completed coursework and to provide official transcript thereof may result in CCSU refusal to award transfer credit. Transferring students are responsible for submitting course descriptions, if requested.

  • Credit by Examination: A student may earn up to 30 credits at CCSU by examination. Departmentally approved subject examinations from the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) of the College Board, or from any other nationally recognized standardized examination program, will be recognized by CCSU. Official results of such examinations should be submitted for consideration. For a list of acceptable CLEP scores and CCSU equivalents, please visit this page.
  • Credit for Armed Forces: Credit may also be awarded for military service schools and/or United States Armed Forces Institute (USAFI) credit courses (taken after 1945) if validated by a certified USAFI center. Official documents should be submitted for consideration.
  • Evaluation of Credit Taken Outside the United States: Credit may be awarded for work completed at institutions outside the United States. Students are responsible for submitting international transcripts to an evaluating agency recognized by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES; www.NACES.org). After the office of Admissions has received the agency's evaluation, it will assess the agency's recommendations to determine accreditation and transferability of credit. A minimum grade of "C-" must be earned for a course to transfer. For more information on NACES-recommended agencies, contact the office of Admissions or visit www.naces.org. Students who are seeking admission to the professional program in education (BS or post-baccalaureate teacher certification) should have as part of their admission file an evaluation of their foreign credentials by one of the following agencies:
World Education Services
Bowling Green Station
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087
Phone: 212-966-6311

Center for Educational Documentation
P.O. Box 231126
Boston, MA 02123-1126
Phone: 617-338-7171

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 92970
Milwaukee, WI 53202-0970
Phone: 414-289-3400




powered by finalsite