Undergraduate Catalog 2009-2011


Susan Petrosino, Registrar
Matthew R. Bielawa, Associate Registrar for Operations
Maria Alvarez, Associate Registrar for Scheduling and CAPP
Nancy Perreault, Associate Registrar for CAPP
Amanda Tellier, Assistant Registrar
Vacant, Assistant Registrar
Elizabeth Wright, Assistant Registrar
Linda Thompson, Degree Auditor

Typical Program Advisement Part-Time Matriculant Program Summer & Winter Sessions
Classification Grading System Honor Requirements Graduation Standards
Second Undergraduate Major Second Degree Policy Registration Appeals for Grade Changes
Acceptance of Non-Traditional Credit Placement Testing & Remedial Courses Declaration of Major Undergraduate Leave of Absence Policy
Withdrawal from the University Change of Status Policy on Academic Misconduct Other Regulations
Public Access to Student Records Graduation Rates    


Typical Program

A typical study program for a Central Connecticut State University student in good standing is considered to be 15 to 17 credits of academic work per semester, depending on classification and major.  A full-time student must carry a minimum of 12 credits per semester. Exceptions to this policy are permitted only for students with documented disabilities.

Undergraduate students are expected to invest a minimum of four hours per week per credit hour, including class time, for courses that meet for a full semester. For courses that meet for a shorter duration, a corresponding increase in the time invested is expected.



Undergraduates who plan to work toward a degree and need advice on course selection should consult an advisor in the Center for Advising and Career Exploration (860-832-1615) before registration. Undergraduate part-time matriculants are assigned an advisor in their major departments.



Part-time Matriculant (PTM) Program

Application for undergraduate part-time degree study is made in the Office of Recruitment and Admissions, Davidson Hall (860-832-2278). Students who choose to undertake or to complete an undergraduate or graduate degree on a part-time basis should register for courses through the Office of the Registrar.

Part-time students may enroll in day or evening classes. Saturday morning classes are also available. The course offerings and registration information may be found on the Registrar's website.

Persons with a high school diploma or an equivalency diploma may earn college credit by registering in University courses with the Office of the Registrar. Others may enroll, for no credit, as auditors.

Course Load and Credits--Part-time undergraduate students may register for up to a maximum of 11 credits.

To maintain their status, students in the PTM Program must register for classes in at least one of the regular academic semesters each year.

Non-matriculated undergraduate students must apply for matriculation (acceptance into a planned program of study) before 30 credits are completed. Students will not be allowed to matriculate after completion of 30 credits without specific recommendation of an academic dean of the University.


Summer and Winter Sessions

All CCSU students receive information regarding Summer and Winter Session courses. Registration takes place at the Office of the Registrar. Summer and Winter Session courses allow students to accelerate their programs, make up work, or take advantage of special offerings.

Summer Session-During the summer, Central Connecticut State University operates two five-week sessions, one eight-week session, and a three-week post-session. Courses, both undergraduate and graduate, are offered in the day and evening.

Summer Session is designed to provide opportunities for:

  • incoming first-year students who wish to accelerate their college work by entering the University before the beginning of the academic year,
  • students from other colleges,
  • CCSU students who wish to accelerate their studies toward a degree
  • teachers and other graduate students who wish to pursue a master's or other advanced degrees,
  • graduates of other colleges interested in meeting certification requirements for teaching, and
  • qualified high school students seeking college-level courses.

Residence accommodations and meals are available. Commuting students may arrange for lunch and/or dinner at the University. The library, the Student Center, and other facilities are also available.

The maximum course load is seven credits during each five-week Summer Session and four credits during the post-session. The eight-week session is counted as part of the first five-week session.

Winter Session-During the winter break, Central Connecticut State University operates an intensive three-week Winter Session. Over 100 credit courses are offered, allowing students to accelerate their college work. The maximum course load is four credits.



Membership in a class is determined by total earned credits as follows:


First-year 0-25 credits
Sophomore 26-53 credits
Junior 54-85 credits
Senior 86+ credits



Grading System

Central Connecticut State University uses the letter grading system as follows:  A, superior; B, above average; C, average; D, passing but below average; and F, failure. A grade of incomplete (INC) may be recorded, at the discretion of the instructor, for a course in which a student, because of circumstances beyond his or her control, has not completed certain work or has been absent from the final examination. A grade of NR (not recorded by instructor) will be entered if grades are not submitted in a timely manner. For undergraduate students, an INC or an NR not changed to another grade by the instructor within the first eight weeks of the subsequent major semester will be changed to an F. Responsibility for removing an INC or an NR within this time limit rests with the student.

Grade-Point Average-For computing grade-point average, grades are evaluated as follows for each semester hour of credit:

Grade Quality  Points Grade Quality Points
A 4.0 C 2.0
A- 3.7 C- 1.7
B+ 3.3 D+ 1.3
B 3.0 D 1.0
B- 2.7 D- 0.7
C+ 2.3 F 0.0


For example, a student receives an A in two courses, one carrying 3 credits and one carrying 1 credit; a B in a 3-credit course; a B- in a 3-credit course; a C- in a 2-credit course; a D in a 3-credit course; and an F in a 2-credit course. The grade-point average is computed as follows.

A or 4 quality points per hour x 4 credits =  16 quality points
B or 3 quality points per hour x 3 credits =  9 quality points
B- or 2.7 quality points per hour x 3 credits = 8.1 quality points
C- or 1.7 quality points per hour x 2 credits = 3.4 quality points
D or 1 quality point per hour x 3 credits =  3 quality points
F or 0 quality points per hour x 2 credits =  0 quality points
17 credits for a total of 39.5 quality points

To calculate this student's semester grade-point average, the quality point total is divided by the total number of credits taken:  39.5 ÷ 17 = 2.32.

The cumulative grade-point average (CGPA) for a student's record is determined by adding the credits attempted and dividing this total into the total number of quality points. The cumulative grade-point average indicates the academic record of the student for the time enrolled at the University and does not include transfer credit.

Good Standing Policy - All students are expected to maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher to be in Good Standing.

Academic Probation - At the end of their first semester with less than a GPA of 2.00, all students (first-year/first-time, continuing, or transfer) will receive a probation letter informing them of the dismissal/probation policy  and of an academic intervention.

Dismissal Hearing - At the end of the next semester, all students still having less than a 2.00 will receive notice of academic dismissal.

Those students may petition for academic probation due to extenuating circumstances by contacting the office of their academic dean. Students who are denied probation will be dismissed.  Following dismissal, a student must normally wait at least one semester before being considered for reinstatement.

Only courses taken at Central Connecticut State University, including summer session and winter session courses, are included in calculating the student's cumulative GPA.  Courses taken at other institutions are not included in the student's Central Connecticut State University GPA.  However, transfer credits accepted at CCSU will count toward the total number of credits attempted for purposes of academic standing.

An academically dismissed student may enroll through the Office of the Registrar as a non-matriculated student and seek to bring the cumulative grade-point average back to the good-standing level.  Also, an academically dismissed student may petition the academic dean of their major for reinstatement.

After re-attaining good standing, as a result of work as a non-matriculated student, a student may request readmission to Central Connecticut State University as a matriculated student. Consultation with the Office of Admissions concerning deadlines for reactivation is advised. 

Students concerned about their academic progress should consult their academic advisor.


Honor Requirements

Dean's List
Full-time students. Dean's List recognition for a semester is granted to students who carried at least 12 academic credits, earned a 3.50 GPA and did not have any "incompletes" for the semester at the time grades were processed.

Part-time matriculated students who have earned a minimum of 12 credits for the academic year, who have achieved a 3.50 cumulative average for fall and spring semesters of that school year and who have no "incompletes" listed on their record are eligible for spring semester Dean's List honors.

Graduation Honors for Baccalaureate Degree
Graduation honors for the baccalaureate degree recognize high academic achievement at Central Connecticut State University as demonstrated by the following cumulative grade-point averages:

Cum laude (honors)     3.50-3.69
Magna cum laude (high honors)   3.70-3.89
Summa cum laude (highest honors)   3.90-4.00

Candidates for Graduation Honors, who will be recognized at Commencement ceremonies, are identified at the conclusion of the regular semester that precedes their final semester prior to graduation, i.e. honors for May graduates will be based on their GPA at the end of the previous fall semester. Full-time students who have earned a minimum of 44 credits toward their graduation requirements in residence at Central Connecticut State University, or part-time students who have earned a minimum of 56 credits toward their degree in residence at CCSU, with a cumulative earned GPA of at least 3.50 are considered to be Graduation Honors candidates eligible for recognition at Commencement. Candidacy for Graduation Honors does not guarantee the award of Graduation Honors upon completion of degree requirements.

Graduation honors, which appear on both the diploma and the transcript, will be awarded only to full-time and part-time students who complete their graduation requirements with a minimum of 62 credits in residence at Central Connecticut State University and a cumulative earned grade-point average of at least 3.50. The residency requirement for honors may not be waived. Students with questions regarding academic honors should consult the Academic Dean of their major.


Graduation Standards

For graduation a student must maintain a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 2.00 and receive grades of C- or better in all courses required for the major and minor, with a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 2.00 in the major and minor, and complete a minimum of 122 or 130 credits, depending on one's major. The School of Education and Professional Studies  and the School of Business may have different requirements. For more information about the School of Education & Professional Studies, click here. For the School of Business, here.

Residence Requirements for Degree - A minimum of 45 credits "in residence" is required for a bachelor's degree. Students transferring from any college are required to take at least 15 credits in their major field and 9 credits in their minor field at Central Connecticut State University. Major and minor minimums are included in the 45-credit residence requirement. "In residence" means attending classes conducted on campus or under supervision of Central Connecticut State University.

Programs in the School of Business require that at least 50% of the business credits needed for the business degree be earned and completed at Central Connecticut State University.

In no case will a degree be granted unless a student is matriculated for a minimum of one year at the time of graduation.

Application for Graduation - A graduating student must file an Application for Graduation with the Office of Registrar one year prior to graduation. The form may be obtained at the Registrar's website here. Those expecting to complete degree requirements in May or August must file by May 1, and those completing in December must file by December 1 of the previous year.

Policy for Granting Students Who Have Almost Completed Degree Requirements Permission to Participate in Commencement Ceremonies - Any undergraduate student who has filed a graduation application, and whose spring semester degree evaluation confirms that the student will have completed all but nine (9) or fewer credit hours required for the degree by the following August, will be allowed to participate in Commencement ceremonies.

Undergraduate students having more than nine (9) credit hours of work remaining will not normally be allowed to participate in Commencement ceremonies. However, in the case of extraordinary circumstances, such as family or health emergencies, students may appeal to the Vice President for Student Affairs or designee. The student may be required to provide supporting documentation in making such an appeal. The decision of the Vice President for Student Affairs or designee is final.


Second Undergraduate Major

As part of their undergraduate degree programs, students may complete a second major. To have a second major notation on the official transcript, students must complete a "Second Major" form, available at the Registrar's Office, which requires the declaration of the primary major, the student's degree program, and the requested second major. Students seeking teaching certification must earn a B.S.Ed. degree and list their teacher education subject matter as their primary major. No minor is required for students completing a double major.

Second Degree Policy
A student who has already completed a bachelor's degree may be admitted to Central Connecticut State University for a second undergraduate degree or a second undergraduate major within the student's original degree program.

A transfer student (whose earlier degree is not from CCSU) must satisfy all degree, major, minor, general education and residence requirements. Transfer students are required to have a minimum of 45 credits at CCSU in order to receive a bachelor's degree.

A student, who already holds a bachelor's degree from CCSU and wishes to complete a second degree, may do so by completing all curriculum requirements in effect at the time of re-admission, with a minimum of 30 new credits. If all curriculum requirements are met, and the 30-credit minimum has not been attained, the remaining credits shall consist of additional directed electives chosen by the department. When these new degree requirements are met, the student will be issued another diploma and will be entitled to participate in commencement ceremonies.

A student who already holds a bachelor's degree from CCSU may complete a second major within the original degree program. Although there is no minimum credit hour requirement for a second major, all curriculum requirements in effect at the time of re-admission must be completed. Upon completion the student will receive only an additional notation on the transcript; additional diplomas will not be printed, and students will not participate in commencement ceremonies. Students in this category should inform the Office of Registrar of their intentions soon after re-admission.



Prerequisites - It is the students' responsibility to determine whether they have met prerequisites for a course. Students found to be lacking the prerequisites for a course may be administratively removed from a class at the request of the instructor. Course prerequisites are defined in the course description section of this catalog.

Adding a Course - Students may add courses on a space-available basis during the first eight days of the semester.

Dropping a Course - Students are allowed to drop courses up to the last day of the third week of classes during a regular semester. Courses dropped by the deadline do not appear on the student's transcript. Forms are available on the Registrar's website or in the Office of the Registrar.

Warning: Failure to carry a minimum of 12 credits may affect Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and receipt of certain federal, state, and other benefits, including but not limited to various financial aid programs, Veterans benefits, and Social Security benefits. Students dropping below 12 credits are ineligible for participation in intercollegiate athletics.

Withdrawal from Courses - From the beginning of the fourth week of classes until the end of the eighth week of classes (mid-term) in a regular semester, a student may withdraw from a course by completing a Course Withdrawal Prior to Midpoint form, available on the Registrar's Website or in the Office of the Registrar. A "W" will be entered for the course on the student's transcript. During this period, approvals for withdrawal are not required; however, it is strongly recommended that students consult with their academic advisor prior to deciding to withdraw from a course. In addition, students should be aware of the possible consequences of reducing their course load to fewer than 12 credits, as indicated in the preceding warning.

After the end of the eighth week of classes, a student may apply for withdrawal from a course. The dean of the school offering the course may approve such withdrawal if documented extenuating circumstances, which justify withdrawal, are found to exist. Poor academic performance is not considered an extenuating circumstance. Students may apply for withdrawal using the Course Withdrawal After Midpoint form available on the Registrar's website. Signatures indicating the recommendations of the instructor and chair of the department offering the course, as well as the approval of the dean of the school offering the course, will be required. If withdrawal is approved, a "W" will be recorded on the student's transcript. If a student stops attending and fails to withdraw officially from a course, a grade of "F" will be recorded on the student's transcript. In all cases of withdrawal, a "W" does not affect the student's grade-point average.

Pass-Fail Option - A limited pass-fail option in courses not required for the major, minor or general education program is available at the University. To be eligible for the pass/fail option, the student must have completed at least 34 earned hours (including transfer hours) and must be a matriculated undergraduate in good standing. Up to two (2) pass/fail courses may be selected in one semester, but no more than four (4) pass/fail courses may be selected throughout the entire undergraduate career. If a student changes majors to a discipline in which pass/fail credit has been earned, the grade(s) earned in such a pass/fail course(s) shall be retrieved and recorded on permanent record in place of the pass/fail grade. Intent to take a course pass/fail must be filed in the Office of Registrar within the first three weeks of the semester. Refer to the Registrar's website for further information.

Audit Option - Full-time undergraduate students are permitted to audit courses, provided they are taking a minimum of 12 credits in addition to the courses audited. Part-time students need not meet this minimum requirement. Intent to audit a course requires the written approval of the instructor and must be filed in the Office of Registrar during the first three weeks of the semester. Failure to meet the instructor's requirements for auditing may result in the student being withdrawn from the course. Courses taken on an audit basis do not affect grade point average and do not apply toward any graduation requirement. Refer to the Registrar's website for further information.

Eligibility for Extra Courses - A full-time student may take 12 to 18 semester credits without special permission. A student who wishes to register for more than the customary semester program of academic work should apply in writing to the appropriate academic dean at least one week prior to registration for the semester in which the additional course is to be taken. Credit overload forms are available on the Registrar's website. In addition to the applicable tuition/required fees, full-time undergraduate students registering for more than 18 credits will be assessed excess credit fees of $240 per credit for each credit beyond 18. These fees are non-refundable and will not be deleted if at a later time the total credits number less than 19.

In general, the only applications approved are from students whose cumulative grade-point average is 2.50 or above, or whose average for the preceding semester is at least 3.00. No student will be permitted to take more than the normal program of study in their first semester.

Graduate Courses - Undergraduate students who have a cumulative average (GPA) of 3.00 or above and who have completed more than 90 semester hours of coursework may request permission to enroll in a 500-level course for which they have met all course prerequisites. Students are required to obtain written permission on the 500 level from their advisor, the course instructor, the chair of the department offering the course, and the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies prior to registration. Priority is given to graduate students; undergraduates who meet criteria are enrolled on a space-available basis. Forms are available in the office of the School of Graduate Studies, Barnard Hall, Room 102, and also at Graduate Studies website hereNote: Additional work will be required for students who wish credit in 400 level courses.

Course Repeat Policy - Students may repeat any course during their tenure at CCSU. The total number of credits that students may repeat, however, is limited to 17 credits, and no course may be repeated more than once without approval of the chair of the department offering the course.  The most recent course grade and credit will be applied to the GPA and degree requirements. All grades will appear on the student's transcript. This policy applies to undergraduate students for courses repeated at CCSU beginning with the Fall 2003 semester.

Some academic departments may require students to retake certain prerequisite courses if there is an extended time lapse between the completion of that prerequisite course and enrollment in subsequent courses. Students should check with the individual departments for time limits on prerequisite courses. Students who must retake prerequisite courses have two options:
 1) Students may retake the course and replace their previous grade. Credits for the retake will be applied against the limit of 17 authorized repeat credits.
 2) Students may audit the course and retain the existing grade. The 17 authorized repeat credits will not be affected. Students taking this option should be aware that individual academic departments might place special requirements on the auditing of courses. Students must complete an audit request form within the required time frame at the beginning of the semester in which a course is audited.

Note: Repeating courses taken in a previous semester may affect certain federal and state benefits, various financial aid programs, loans, scholarships, and social security benefits, in addition to athletic eligibility and veteran's benefits. Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements must be met for continued financial aid eligibility. See Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

Note: Education majors and post baccalaureate certification students should refer to the course repeat policy listed in the School of Education and Professional Studies.

ENG 099 and MATH 099 - ENG 099 and MATH 099 are three-credit courses. The grade awarded will be computed into a student's GPA, but the credits will not count towards the number of credits required for graduation. Students needing to demonstrate college-level proficiency in either or both English and math are required to successfully complete the appropriate courses within their first 24 academic credits. Students will have five opportunities to complete the courses by attending the Summer Sessions prior to and following their freshman year or the fall, winter, or spring semesters of their freshman year. Students who are unable to complete the proficiency requirements within the first 24 credits will not be allowed to register for credit courses within the Connecticut State University System until they have completed the courses elsewhere.

Non-Credit Courses - Non-credit courses are offered through the Enrollment Center/Office of Continuing Education within its community service programs and are noted with a grade of NC.  The symbol "S" on a transcript will indicate satisfactory completion of a non-credit academic course. The symbol "U" will indicate unsatisfactory performance or non-completion of an academic non-credit course.


Appeals for Grade Changes Policy

Academic grading reflects careful and deliberate judgment by a faculty member instructing a course. Academic evaluation of student performance requires expert consideration of cumulative information. Such decision-making, by its nature, is judgmental and evaluative. The evaluative process is not and should not be likened to the adversarial process involved in disciplinary matters, for academic grade determination is not adaptable to the methods of judicial or administrative decision-making. The educational process, moreover, is not by nature adversarial but rather centers upon a continuing relationship between faculty and student. Administrative interposition, except in the most extreme instances, is to be avoided.  The University recognizes that in rare instances there may be errors, or "palpable injustice(s)" in determination of a final grade. A student alleging such error or palpable injustice, i.e. a clear showing of arbitrary or capricious action, may appeal as provided below: 

For the appeal to be considered by the Grade Appeals Review Board, the following deadlines must be met.

  • Student must meet with the instructor within the first two weeks of the full semester following the semester in which the grade was awarded. Either the student or the faculty member may request that the initial meeting occurs in the presence of the department chair. If no meeting with the instructor occurred, the student should provide a statement as to why a meeting did not occur with the instructor within the two-week time limit.
In the event that the instructor is deceased or has left the University, the student should meet directly with the department chairperson in the next regular semester following the semester in which the disputed grade was given. Upon evidence of error, the chairperson may make the appropriate grade change after consultation with and approval of the dean of the school. The instructor shall be notified of the change if notice subsequently can be delivered. The chairperson shall make a determination and provide written notification to the student within two weeks of receiving the appeal. Upon evidence of palpable injustice, the chairperson may make the appropriate grade change after consultation with and approval of the dean of the school. Written notification of the decision shall be made to the student within two weeks of receiving the appeal.
  • If no resolution is achieved between the student and the instructor, or if the instructor could not be contacted, the student has two additional weeks to submit the appeal in writing to the department chairperson. The student's written appeal must be clear and complete.

The department chairperson must provide the student and instructor with a written decision within two weeks of receiving an appeal. If the chairperson upholds the instructor's grade, and the student wishes to further pursue the appeal, the chairperson shall then forward the appeal (including a copy of the written decision) to the appropriate dean. If the chairperson finds that the appeal has merit and no resolution has occurred at the departmental level, the chairperson shall then forward the appeal and written decision to the appropriate dean.

The dean should try to take no more than two weeks to resolve the situation or forward the appeal to the Grade Appeals Review Board.

  • A grade change shall be made only with the written consent of the instructor and the department chairperson, except as noted above in the case of death of the instructor or the instructor leaving University employment. The dean should provide the student, instructor, and chairperson with a written decision within two weeks of receiving an appeal. If the dean upholds the instructor's grade, and the student wishes to further pursue the appeal, the dean shall then forward the appeal (including copies of the written decisions) to the Grade Appeals Review Board, or if the dean finds that the appeal has merit and cannot resolve the grade within the school, the dean shall then forward the appeal and written decision to the Grade Appeals Review Board.
  • Grade Appeal Review Board: Any appeal after the completion of the steps above shall be made to the Grade Appeals Review Board, which functions under the aegis of the Academic Standards Committee. The appeal must be in written form, clean and complete, and provide a statement of justification for the grade sought. After receiving an appeal, the Grade Appeals Review Board may engage in a number of actions.

Following an investigation, the Grade Appeals Review Board may deny the appeal, in which case the matter shall be closed. If the Grade Appeals Review Board makes a finding that the grading involved a palpable injustice, the case shall be remanded to the instructor and the dean of the instructor's school for reconsideration. The instructor may make the appropriate change in the grade with the written agreement of the dean. The dean will notify the Grade Appeals Review Board of the response taken. If the instructor disagrees or if the instructor's whereabouts are unknown, the Grade Appeals Review Board may recommend a grade change to the vice president for academic affairs. The vice president may make the appropriate grade change or issue a "W" (withdrawal). The instructor, the department chairperson, and the dean shall be notified in writing of such recommendations.

The Grade Appeals Review Board will endeavor to resolve all cases within the semester in which they are filed. When this is not possible, the chairperson of the Grade Appeals Review Board shall provide the provost and vice president of academic affairs, as well as the student, with written notification.  In no case shall a grade be lowered as a result of the appeal to the Grade Appeals Review Board.

  • Student Rights and Responsibilities:
Students shall receive timely notification during all steps of the appeals process. When appealing a grade, students must provide a full written account, attaching all corresponding documentation outlined above. Students will not have the opportunity to supplement an appeal once it has been filed and received by the Grade Appeals Review Board, except to respond to a request from the Grade Appeals Review Board.
  • Faculty and Administration's Rights and Responsibilities:
 The Grade Appeals Review Boards shall notify in writing faculty, chairpersons, and deans of any board actions and requests.  Faculty shall return all graded student work or retain it until the end of the following regular academic semester. In no case shall faculty discard the graded work of a student who has filed an appeal.  Chairpersons and deans must endeavor to meet required deadlines as outlined in the Appeals for Grade Change Policy. Deans will notify the Grade Appeals Review Board when a recommended grade change has taken place or has been rejected by the instructor.
  • The Grade Appeals Review Board:
 The Grade Appeals Review Board shall be made up of five instructional faculty members, elected under procedures determined by the Faculty Senate. Members shall serve a term of two years. The Grade Appeals Review Board is comprised of the Grade Appeals Committee.
  • The Grade Appeals Review Board Policies:

 The Grade Appeals Review Board will not accept evidence provided in person to the Grade Appeals Review Board and so does not allow students, non-Board faculty, administrators, or any other people to attend Review Board meetings.

At the conclusion of a grade appeals case, copies of materials provided to Grade Appeals Review Board members will be destroyed by the chair of the Grade Appeals Review Board. Original case documents will be turned over to the vice president of academic affairs to be stored until such time as the state code determines the documents may be destroyed under state guidelines. Students appealing cases are advised to keep copies of all documentation provided in the appeal, as the originals provided will be held by the University following the decision of the Grade Appeals Board.

The Grade Appeals Review Board reserves the right to request grade and attendance information from the instructor and any other related materials from the instructor and/or the appellant when the Grade Appeals Review Board believes that it can not make a fair decision without such information.

A student submitting a grade appeal to the Grade Appeals Committee must provide the following information for the file to be complete for consideration by the Grade Appeals Review Board: inventory list of materials provided or Table of Contents; completed required grade appeal form; related course syllabus; and any supporting documentation, such as graded assignments, medical documentation, statements from other students and/or faculty, and so forth. In the event that statements are provided by other persons than the student seeking the appeal and the faculty member providing the grade, the contact information for each person should be provided so the Grade Appeals Review Board may verify, if it wishes, the statements included. Five photocopies of the case should be provided to the Board.

Students should understand that the burden of proof is upon them to make the case that a "palpable injustice" or bias has occurred, and so the student should seek to make as strong a case as possible by including supporting documents to claims made. Students should also understand that the Grade Appeals Review Board does not have any predisposition to support either the instructor or the student, but seeks as fair a resolution to the appeal as it can determine.

The Grade Appeals Review Board reserves the right to extend deadlines when extraordinary circumstances exist where the Grade Appeals Review Board votes to allow the extension. Under no condition does extending a deadline in one case set precedent as each case and the related personnel form a unique situation.

Should the appeal case suggest to the Grade Appeals Review Board that other students in the course likely had their grades impacted as well as the grades of the appellant, the Grade Appeals Review Board shall contact in writing the department chair and dean of the school where the original appeal originated and suggest a review of the course in question.

The Grade Appeals Review Board will follow the appeals process as detailed above.  If the appeal is forwarded to the Grade Appeals Review Board between May graduation and June 15, the chair will attempt to contact Grade Appeals Review Board members during the summer, however, there is no obligation for the Grade Appeals Review Board to meet, given various off-semester commitments of the Grade Appeals Review Board members.

Anyone other than the appellant and related faculty and University administration who approaches the chair or other Grade Appeals Review Board members will be directed to the University Counsel to the President without any discussion whatsoever of a case.

A decision of the Grade Appeals Review Board to recommend a grade change is only a recommendation and does not guarantee that the action recommended will be followed.

The Grade Appeal Review Board will state its reasons for its recommendations in writing to the instructor, department chair, and dean in the case of recommending a grade change and to all parties in the case of an appeal denial.

The Grade Appeals Review Board will expect any appeals submitted in the fall semester to arrive no later than the last week in October and in the spring semester, no later than the last week in March. Appeals received after those dates may be held until the next semester. Appeals received before those dates will be expedited.
Originally Adopted by the Faculty Senate April 16, 1979. Revised by the Faculty Senate May 14, 2007


Acceptance of Non-Traditional Credit

Central Connecticut State recognizes that many valid learning experiences occur outside the traditional classroom. CCSU accepts from matriculated students the following types of non-traditional credit, up to a maximum of 30 credits of credit except for established special programs. When such credit is awarded, it is entered on the transcript but the grade is not included in the University grade-point average. Students should be aware that in all the instances described below, the rules for granting of credit for non-traditional learning may vary among academic schools and departments at CCSU, depending on the rules of external accrediting agencies and in accordance with departmental standards. Students should direct questions to the department chair.

Advanced Placement -- The University accepts for college credit advanced placement courses taken in high school under the auspices of the College Entrance Examination Board's Advanced Placement Test Program provided the student achieves a minimum score of 3 on the test. Official score reports are requested by the Office of Admissions.

Credit for Standardized Examinations--Central Connecticut State students may earn up to 30 credits by examination from the College Level Examination Program of the College Entrance Examination Board (CLEP and DANTES) or any nationally-standardized examination.  A student is permitted one trial for each examination and must achieve a score equal to, or higher than, the national norm for that particular examination to receive credit. Information about which examinations are approved for departmental credit and minimum score requirements is available from the Office of Admissions or the Office of Continuing Education. Official score reports are required by the Office of Admissions.

Credit for non-collegiate training programs -- Many businesses and industries, and other non-accredited institutions, provide formal training for which some academic credit may be awarded. Central Connecticut State University will follow ACE recommendations on the acceptance of this credit as published in The National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs. CCSU also accepts credit for programs conducted by non-collegiate organizations not evaluated by ACE, according to specific local agreements that comply with Board of Governors for Higher Education regulations. Application of credit as it relates to the student's CCSU degree requirements will be determined by the student's major department. Official transcripts, diplomas or certificates are required. If there is not an ACE recommendation or existing local agreement for the training program, refer to "Credit for life or work experience" below.

Credit for life or work experience -- While Central Connecticut State University itself does not evaluate life or work experience, the University will accept such credit as awarded by other regionally-accredited colleges and universities, to the extent that it is applicable to the student's degree program and providing it does not exceed 30 credits. Matriculated students who believe they are eligible for such credit are encouraged to contact Charter Oak State College.


Placement Testing and Remedial Courses: Mathematics, Writing and Foreign Language Requirements and Placement Exams

The CSU Board of Trustees Proficiency Requirement--Students may be required to improve their mathematics and/or writing skills by taking Elementary Algebra (MATH 099) and/or Remedial English (ENG 099).

  • If required, students must successfully complete Math and/or English 099 courses within their first year (or within 24 credits attempted at CCSU).
  • Students must do this in order to continue to register for courses at CCSU or at any other CSU institution.

CCSU Math Requirement and placement testing --There are different mathematics course requirements for each major and all students are required to take two courses in the area of mathematics, statistics, or computer science as part of the general education requirement. (MATH 099 and MATH 101 do not satisfy this requirement.)
The SAT Math score is initially used to determine eligibility for the first math course for entering first-time students. Students are encouraged to take a mathematics placement exam (Accuplacer) if, after reading the course descriptions, they think they are prepared to succeed in a higher-level course than the one they are eligible to take based on the SAT score. Mathematics and statistics course descriptions are found online at www.ccsu.edu .

Placement exams are administered through The Learning Center on a regular schedule.  
Transfer students do NOT need a placement exam if they have transfer credits at CCSU for MATH 99, MATH 101, MATH 115, MATH 119, MATH 121, MATH 123, MATH 135, MATH 152, or MATH 221. These courses are used as the prerequisite to your next level mathematics course. However, transfer students who have transfer credit for MATH 105, MATH 110, MATH 113, MATH 124, MATH 125, MATH 213, STAT 104, STAT 200, OR STAT 215, do need a placement exam if their plan of study requires MATH 135 OR MATH 152. If a student has transfer credit for a math higher than MATH 101 at CCSU that is not listed above, they should consult an advisor or the Department of Mathematical Sciences to see if a placement test is needed.
If a student has taken Accuplacer at CCSU or elsewhere within the last two years, the score may be used for placement in a CCSU mathematics course.
CCSU Writing Requirement and Placement Testing--All entering first-time students are required to take Freshman Composition (ENG 110), which is an introductory course in expository writing, unless  exempt due to previous coursework.  Students who transfer with more than 60 credits who have not completed the equivalent of English 110, should meet with the Chair of the English Department to determine how to satisfy the requirement. Transfer students with fewer than 60 credits who have not completed the equivalent of English 110 must take the Accuplacer to determine course placement for writing.  Placement exams are administered through The Learning Center on a regular schedule.

There is no writing placement exam for entering first-time students.  Student writing is assessed during the first week of your writing class. Course adjustments will be made based on the writing assessment, if it is determined that you are enrolled in the wrong writing course. A score of 450 on the Writing OR Critical Reading portion of the SAT (or 21 on the ACT) is needed to enroll in ENG 110. If the SAT Writing score AND the SAT Critical Reading score are both below 450 (or 21 on the ACT), the entering first-time students are required to complete Remedial English (ENG 099), which focuses on improvement of basic writing skills, prior to taking ENG 110. If English is not the student's native language and their score on the SAT Writing and SAT Critical Reading are both below 450 (or 21 on the ACT or 61 on the internet-based TOEFL), they are required to complete ESL 108 and/or ESL 109 prior to taking ENG 110.

CCSU Foreign Language Requirement and placement testing-Students who have completed 3 sequential years of one foreign language at the high school level (to level 3), have satisfied the CCSU foreign language requirement.  (The high school transcript must be received by the Office of Recruitment and Admissions.) Students who did not complete 3 sequential years of one foreign language in high school, have these options:
1. Elementary proficiency as demonstrated by successfully completing a 2nd semester-level CCSU foreign language course (112 or 118).   
2. Demonstration of native proficiency in a language other than English.
All students must take a placement exam to continue studying the same language previously studied:
---Spanish placement exams are offered by The Learning Center.
---French, German and Italian placement exams are offered by the Modern Language Department. 

State University Student Interchange - Full-time students at Central Connecticut State University may take courses not available on campus at one of the other Connecticut State Universities, with grades for these courses being treated as though earned at Central Connecticut State University. Advance approval to take such courses during the academic year is required. Such students will continue to be registered at Central Connecticut State University, to which all tuition and fees will be paid.

Full-time students who may wish to take courses at other Greater Hartford area institutions should check with the Office of the Registrar about the Hartford Consortium Cross-Registration Program. For more information, click here.

Attending Other Institutions - Students enrolled at Central Connecticut State University who wish to take courses at other accredited institutions should complete the Request for Transfer Credit form with the Office of the Registrar. Students who wish to apply transfer credits to specific degree requirements should seek advice from the appropriate department chair or academic dean as to how the credit may be applied. Only courses carrying a grade of C- or better will be accepted in transfer. The School of Education and Professional Studies may have different requirements. For more information click here


Declaration of Major

A student should select a major after consultation with an advisor. Forms to declare the major are available on the Registrar's Web site or in the Office of the Registrar. See requirements for majors under separate departmental listings.

Change of Major or Degree Objective-To change or declare a degree program, major or minor, a student must obtain a Major and Program Change Form on the Registrar's Web site or in the Office of the Registrar, obtain the necessary signatures and return it to the Office of Registrar.

Admission to the Professional Education Program - See School of Education and Professional Studies.

Course Substitution - Departmental chairs may approve the substitution of one course for another within the major or minor. The student should obtain the appropriate form on the Registrar's Website or in the Office of the Registrar, have it signed by the chairs involved, and submit the completed form to the student's academic dean who then forwards it to the Registrar's Office. See this website for information on course substitution in the Design (Graphic/Information) Department which differs slightly from this process.


Undergraduate Student Leave of Absence Policy

A Leave of Absence is a period of separation from CCSU for up to two consecutive semesters. During this time a student maintains his or her matriculation and is entitled to return to CCSU. The Undergraduate Student Leave of Absence enables students to return after a maximum two-semester absence from campus. Students with this status need not apply for readmission. Students may register for classes during the normal registration period based on cumulative credits earned both in transfer and at CCSU. This policy does not supersede any existing University withdrawal policy.

Students desiring a Leave of Absence must:

  • Be matriculated and enrolled in the semester immediately preceding the Leave of Absence;
  • Address any outstanding financial obligations with the Bursar;
  • Have no disciplinary action pending.

Leave of Absence Process:

  • Forms are available at Registrar's Website
  • Complete the Leave of Absence Application and return it to the Office of the Registrar.

As required on the Leave of Absence request form, students must complete the following before the Leave of Absence goes into effect:

  • Students living on campus must contact the Office of Residence Life.
  • International students must contact the Center for International Education to insure that all legal documents are in order.

Status while on a Leave of Absence:

  • Each semester an email of related materials will be sent to all students on a leave of absence.
  • The student is eligible to enroll without question upon completion of the leave of absence.
  • The student will be reported to all outside agencies as not currently enrolled.
  • The student will not be entitled to access or privileges held by enrolled students.

Upon return to CCSU, the student will comply with the requirements toward his or her degree as identified in the catalog at the time the student originally matriculated, unless other exceptions had been previously authorized. 

Requirements to Return:

  • The student need only register for the upcoming semester.
  • Failure to return to active status during the semester designated on the Leave of Absence application will necessitate that the student apply for reactivation and pay the appropriate fees to Admissions at a later date when they choose to return to CCSU.


Withdrawal from the University

A full-time student wishing to withdraw from the University must confer with the Office of the Registrar and have the appropriate forms completed and approved by that office no later than four weeks before the last day of the final examination period. The Registrar's Office will assist in filing the form necessary for withdrawal.

Withdrawals after this date will be permitted only under extenuating circumstances and will require consultation and approval of the Academic Dean and the Registrar. Readmission is contingent upon the student's academic standing at the time of re-entry. The student must complete a reactivation form with the Office of Admissions to initiate readmission.


Change of Status

Change of status from full-time to part-time may be requested at any time prior to the first day of classes and through the third week of a semester. No change of status is permitted after the third week. Refer to the Registrar's Website for further details.


Policy on Academic Misconduct

At Central Connecticut State University we value personal integrity as fundamental to our interactions with each other. We believe that one of the purposes of a University education is for students to learn to think critically, to develop evaluative skills, and to express their own opinions and voices. We place special weight on academic honesty in all of our intellectual pursuits because it is a value that is fundamental to academic life and scholarly practice. All members of the University community are obligated to uphold high standards of academic honesty in their scholarship and learning. Therefore, we expect students to take personal responsibility for their intellectual work and to respect and acknowledge the ideas of others.  Academic honesty means doing one's own work and giving proper credit to others whose work and thought one may draw upon. It is the responsibility of each student to become familiar with what constitutes academic dishonesty and plagiarism and to avoid all forms of cheating and plagiarism.

The CSU code of conduct, Guidelines for Student Rights and Responsibilities and Judicial Procedures, defines academic misconduct as including, but "...not limited to providing or receiving assistance in a manner not authorized by the instructor in the creation of work to be submitted for academic evaluation including papers, projects, and examinations (cheating); and presenting, as one's own, the ideas or words of another person or persons for academic evaluation without proper acknowledgement (plagiarism)."

Cheating may take many forms. It includes, but is not limited to, the following actions, unless explicitly authorized by the instructor:


  • Copying from another person's paper or receiving unauthorized aid from another person during an examination;
  • Use of unauthorized materials or devices during an examination or any other form of academic evaluation and grading; e.g., use of signals, notes, books, or calculators during an examination when the instructor has not approved their use;
  • Knowingly allowing another person to copy from one's paper during an examination.

Improper Behavior

  • Use of another person as a substitute in any form of academic evaluation or acting as a substitute for another person in any form of academic evaluation; e.g., a student cannot have another person take an examination for him/her;
  • Acquisition or distribution of improperly acquired examinations; e.g., stealing examinations before the test period or taking a copy of an examination from a testing room without the permission of the instructor (examinations which have been distributed by an instructor are legitimate study tools);
  • Submission of another's material as one's own for academic evaluation;
  • Preparation of work for another student to submit for academic evaluation;
  • Unauthorized collaboration in the preparation of materials to be submitted for academic evaluation; e.g., working with another student on an assignment when the instructor has not authorized working together;
  • Submission of the same work, or substantially similar work, in more than one course without prior consent of the evaluating instructor(s);
  • Disruption in classroom, lab, or research and study areas; any conduct or actions that grossly or persistently interferes with the academic process. (See the CSU, Rights and Responsibilities, "Proscribed Conduct," No. 7, CCSU Student Handbook.)

Falsification or Misuse of Academic Information

  • Falsification or misrepresentation of one's own academic record or that of anyone else; e.g., altering a transcript for admission, hacking into the University's computer system and changing a grade, having another student take an examination in one's place, signing someone else's name to an attendance sheet.
  • Unauthorized use of information in University computer records or the computer files of other students (see Computer Use Policy);
  • Using unauthorized materials or fabricated data in an academic exercise; e.g., falsifying data in a research paper or laboratory activity; conducting research on human or animal subjects without review by the appropriate panel or supervisor. 


  • Copying sentences, phrases, paragraphs, tables, figures, or data directly or in slightly modified form from a book, article, or other academic source without using quotation marks or giving proper acknowledgment to the original author or source.
  • Copying information from Internet Web sites and submitting it as one's own work;
  • Buying papers for the purpose of turning them in as one's own work;
  • Selling or lending of papers for the purpose of violating academic honesty policies. (This may also be an academic crime, see Connecticut General Statutes, §53-392a.)

Understanding Plagiarism
Plagiarism is presenting another person's work without acknowledgements, whether in the same or in slightly modified form. In academic practice this is regarded as theft, intended to gain undeserved credit. Like other forms of academic dishonesty, plagiarism is cheating. To academicians, a well-documented paper is more impressive than one that arouses the suspicion of a reader familiar with the student's work and alert to echoes from other writers. The proper use of outside sources does not necessarily mean that a paper is lacking in originality, nor does the presence of quotation marks in the text. In fact, the purpose of research and documentation is to share useful information with the reader. The penalties for plagiarism greatly exceed the unlikely reward of gaining credit by getting away with it.

Students must be careful to avoid plagiarism and are responsible for learning how to present the ideas of others in their own work. For current documentation practice, consult the instructor and a style manual. When material is borrowed from another person, the source must be indicated. There are three ways in which another writer's material may appear:
1. By putting quotation marks around short passages borrowed verbatim (word for word); or by setting off from the text, without quotation marks, for longer quotations.
2. By précis; condensing part of a writer's argument.
3. By paraphrase: interpretation of a writer's ideas.
All three must be acknowledged either in footnotes or informally in the text.

Consequences of Academic Misconduct

  • There are significant consequences when an undergraduate student engages in academic misconduct.
  • In each case the faculty member will initiate a conference with the student, after which the faculty member who believes that misconduct has occurred must complete a University Academic Misconduct Report, which is the record of a faculty member's determination that the student identified in this report has engaged in academic misconduct. The content of a University Academic Misconduct Report shall include all items indicated in the form attached to this Policy.
  • A copy of each University Academic Misconduct Report will be sent to the student, the Department chairperson, the Dean's office, and the University Judicial Officer.
  • Upon receipt of the University Academic Misconduct Report, the University Judicial Officer, in consultation with the faculty member, may initiate disciplinary proceedings, which may result in sanctions, including disciplinary probation, suspension, or expulsion from the University.
  • When a faculty member determines that a student has engaged in Academic Misconduct the student shall be required to complete the Academic Integrity Workshop.
  • The sanctions for academic misconduct available to a faculty member include any or all of the following:

 1. A grade of "F" for the course.
 2. A grade of "F" for the material being evaluated.
 3. A reduced grade for the material being evaluated.
 4. The assigning of additional course work.

When Undergraduate Students Are Suspected of Academic Misconduct
1. When a faculty member reasonably believes that there is sufficient information to demonstrate that a student may have engaged in Academic Misconduct:
 a. The faculty member will discuss the incident with the student, in the presence of the department chair if the faculty member or student so desires.
 b. At this time the faculty member shall outline the possible penalties specified in the CCSU Student Handbook.
 c. The faculty member will indicate that the matter may be referred to the University Judicial Officer for possible disciplinary action.
2. Based on the available documentation, the response offered by the student, if any, and any other relevant information:
 a. The faculty member will, within a reasonable period of time, reach a determination whether the student has engaged in Academic Misconduct.
 b. Should the faculty member determine that Academic Misconduct has occurred, the faculty member shall retain evidence of the said misconduct.
3. If the faculty member determines that Academic Misconduct has not occurred, no University Academic Misconduct Report need be prepared.
4. If the faculty member determines that Academic Misconduct has occurred, the faculty member shall:
 a. Impose an academic sanction.
 b. Prepare and forward a University Academic Misconduct Report indicating the determination reached and sanctions imposed.
 c. Direct the student to attend the Academic Integrity Workshop at the Learning Center.
 d. Prior to making any determinations, a faculty member may consult with the Learning Center and/or the University Judicial Officer to determine whether the student has already attended the Academic Integrity Workshop.
5. The faculty member
 a. Shall inform the student that additional University Academic Misconduct Reports may result in more severe penalties.
 b. May also contact the University Judicial Officer regarding additional University disciplinary actions, which may include probation, suspension, or expulsion.
6. In accordance with the "Student Records and Disclosure Policy," "Data from academic, disciplinary, and counseling files shall not be available to unauthorized persons on campus or to any person off campus without the express consent of the student involved, except under legal compulsion." (CCSU Student Handbook.)

Understanding the Academic Conduct Workshop
The Academic Integrity Workshop is available to all CCSU students so that they will not violate the Academic Misconduct Policy as a result of misunderstanding. For those students who have violated the Academic Misconduct Policy, the Academic Integrity Workshop is designed to educate students about what constitutes Academic Misconduct so that future violations will not occur. Upon completion of the Academic Integrity Workshop, notification will be forwarded to the University Judicial Officer who will document such completion in the student's file. Students must sign up for the Academic Integrity Workshop at the Learning Center within 10 school days of being provided with the University Academic Misconduct Report. Refusal or failure to attend the workshop will result in a referral to the University Judicial Officer for immediate action.

Subsequent Violations of the Academic Misconduct Policy
When the University Judicial Officer receives multiple University Academic Misconduct Reports regarding a particular student, whether or not the faculty member has made a complaint, a "Pre-Hearing Investigation" will normally be conducted in anticipation of disciplinary action, which may result in disciplinary probation, suspension, or expulsion from the University. If the University Judicial Officer determines that a formal hearing is warranted, a faculty member or members may be requested to provide information.

A Student's Rights When Suspected and or Charged With Academic Misconduct
1. A student has the right:
 a. To meet with the faculty member, in the presence of the Department Chair if so desired, before any determination has been made.
 b. To be informed during this meeting of the faculty member's suspicions and have an opportunity to discuss the matter.
 c. To appeal a finding of Academic Misconduct made during the course of the semester, within 10 school days of being provided with a University Academic Misconduct Report.
  A written statement of appeal must be provided to the faculty member, the Department chairperson, the Dean, and the University Judicial Officer, setting forth the basis of the student's appeal. Upon receipt of a student's mid-semester appeal, the University Judicial Officer will consult with the faculty member, the Department Chair, and the Dean and communicate to the student within 10 school days the results of the student's appeal.
2. Once a final grade is awarded, the student may file a grade appeal in accordance with the "Appeals for Grade Change Policy" (CCSU Student Handbook).
3. If a student receives a final grade of "F" as a result of violating the Academic Misconduct Policy, and that grade is upheld by the grade appeal process, no retroactive withdrawal from the course will be permitted.
4. All end of the semester appeals must be made in accordance with the "Appeals for Grade Change Policy."
5. In addition to academic sanctions provided by the faculty member, if disciplinary proceedings have been initiated by the University Judicial Officer, a student has the right to have such proceedings resolved in accordance with the CSU "Guidelines for Student Rights and Responsibilities and Judicial Procedures."

Professor's Responsibilities When Academic Misconduct is Suspected During End of the Semester Grading
If a faculty member reasonably suspects academic misconduct during end of the semester grading, a grade of Incomplete may be entered, to be replaced by an appropriate grade once the issue is resolved. The grade of Incomplete allows a faculty member to complete end of the semester grading and still follow up on suspected violations of the University Academic Misconduct Policy.

Academic Misconduct reported by a member of the University Community other than the relevant faculty member: See "Academic Misconduct" in "Guidelines for Student Rights and Responsibilities and Judicial Procedures" (CCSU Student Handbook).
Adopted by the Faculty Senate, November 5, 2001


Other Regulations

Attendance - Regular class attendance is expected by the University. The following regulations are in effect.

  • A student is responsible for class attendance, although each instructor should establish his/her policy and inform the class.
  • A student absent from class for five (5) consecutive days or less should, upon return, explain the absence to the instructor.
  • A student absent from class for more than five (5) days, who has not been seen as a patient in the University Health Service for the evaluation of the illness, should submit verification of the absence from his/her physician to the Office of Student Affairs. Notification of a student's absence will be relayed to the appropriate professor only if a physician's verification is submitted at the time of the request for notification.
  • Students are expected to notify instructors in advance for absences related to official University trips, conferences, intercollegiate athletic events, musical performances, and other events.
  • Make-up work is the responsibility of the student.

Eligibility for Extra-Curricular Activity - A full-time undergraduate student is eligible for participation in, election and/or appointment to committees and recognized Central Connecticut State student organizations, and for participation in extracurricular activities, such as intercollegiate athletics, band and theatre, provided the student is matriculated and is not under disciplinary sanction prohibiting same. This is a minimum requirement for the University and does not replace any conditions established by individual organizations.

Transcript Policy - A transcript is the complete, unabridged academic record, without deletions or omissions, compiled while at Central Connecticut State University. Upon the granting of a degree or completion of a program, a student's transcript is considered officially sealed, meaning no changes in grades or alteration in courses will be made unless that student believes that the information in his or her transcript is inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of his or her rights of privacy. It is a student's responsibility to review and confirm the accuracy of his or her academic record. A student may view his or her transcript at any time on the Web to verify its content. It is recommended that the degree recipient confirm the accuracy of all grades, honors, terms, and cumulative GPA notations at the time final grades are posted to their academic record upon graduation.

It is a student's responsibility to notify the Office of the Registrar, in writing, of the information in the transcript that he or she believes is inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of his or her rights of privacy. A student who believes that his or her transcript is inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of his or her rights of privacy has the right to request an amendment to the transcript and, if this request is denied, the right to an opportunity for a hearing to challenge the content of the transcript on the ground that it is inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of his or her rights of privacy. If, as a result of the hearing, the student's request is denied, the University shall inform the student of the right to place a statement with the transcript, commenting on the contested information in the record or stating why he or she disagrees with the decision of the University, or both.

Transcripts may be obtained from the Office of Registrar. The cost per copy, which is subject to change, is $5. The cost of an expedited transcript (issued within 48 hours) is $15. All requests for transcripts must be in writing and include payment in advance. Please refer to the Registrar's Website, for further information.

Change of Address - A student must notify the Office of Registrar in writing of a change of address. Students living off campus and not at their permanent addresses should register their local address with the Office of Registrar.

Cancellation of Courses - The University reserves the right to cancel courses that have insufficient registration, and to change the schedule of courses or instruction as necessary.


Public Access to Student Records

In accordance with appropriate federal and state laws, the University has designated certain types of student information as public or directory information. The University respects the student's right to privacy and will do its best to protect that privacy.

The University may disclose, without consent, directory information.  Central Connecticut State University identifies directory information in its University Catalog to include: student's name, address, telephone number, dates of attendance, class standing, photographs, academic major, minor and concentration, degree candidacy, degree(s) earned and any awards received.  Additional information that is also considered directory information includes participation in officially recognized activities and sports, and the weight and height of members of an athletic team.

Currently enrolled students have the right to request that the University not directory information to individuals or organizations outside the University (although we are required to provide information to organizations which have provided the student any type of financial aid, including loans). A student who wishes to have his/her directory information restricted should contact the Office of Registrar. Such protection is provided for currently enrolled students only.

The University assumes that failure on the part of any student to specifically request withholding of certain directory information indicates approval of disclosure.

Graduation Rates

Students may request information on completion and graduation rates from the Office of Planning and Institutional Effectiveness (860-832-1780) or by going to Key Performance Indicators at the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment website: here.


powered by finalsite