Civil War Dream Conference for Students
8:30 a.m. Welcome
8:45 Overview of Connecticut and the Civil War with Dr. Matthew Warshauer, author of Connecticut in the American Civil War: Slavery, Sacrifice, and Survival.
9:45 The Great Debate: Union, States Rights, & Slavery (click for details) / Famed abolitionist Frederick Douglass, President Abraham Lincoln, and Vice President of the Confederacy Alexander Stephens face off in an historical reenactment over the very meaning of freedom
10:45 Campus tours
11:15 Lunch (provided by CCSU)
11:45 Discussion with Tony Horwitz
1:00 p.m. End of the day
What do you need to do?
- Contact Dr. Matthew Warshauer, Professor of History at CCSU – 860-832-2803 email@example.com
- Determine if your district can cover the cost of buses. If it cannot, Dr. Warshauer will try to arrange funds to cover that expense
- Choose Confederates in the Attic or Midnight Rising (or both) for your students. They will be distributed free of charge in January
- Consider providing your students with extra credit for the reading
- Provide your students with study questions related to Confederates in the Attic and Midnight Rising. These will be forwarded by Dr. Warshauer
- Class time, before and after, discussing the books and event
What do your students get?
- An opportunity to share history and define memory with one of America’s great writers
- Free admission to the event
- Free copies of Confederates in the Attic and Midnight Rising
- Free lunch
- Tours of the CCSU campus and information on the university