IT Self-Help: Installing a Network Printer on a PC
- First, you will need to locate the PRN number (PRN-XXXXXX) of the printer, which can be found on the "Printer Information" card located on the side of the printer.
- Go to your computer and click on the START button.
- Type the print server name: \\PRINTSRV1 in the Search Programs and Files box.
- A window will open showing a list of printers. Find the desired printer by matching the department name, the printer model, and the PRN number (see step 1).
Tip: the printer network name will also include the room number where the printer is located.
- Once you have found the exact match, double-click on its icon (or right-click and select "Connect...").
- After a few moments another window will open for the printer queue. You will then know that the printer has been installed on your computer and is ready to be used.
- To find out how to make that printer (or any other installed printer) as your default, click here.
Deleting a Network Printer on a PC
- Click on Start, then Devices and Printers.
- Click on the printer to delete, then press the Delete key on your keyboard.
- Click on Yes to the confirmation message to delete the printer.
If you need assistance with installing the printer, call the IT Help Desk at 832-1720.