ADMISSION TO THE PROFESSIONAL PROGRAM FOR TEACHER CERTIFICATION
CRITERIA FOR ADMISSION TO PROFESSIONAL PROGRAM
1. Completion of at least 45 credits, 15 of which have been earned at CCSU for secondary and all-level programs. Graduates of Connecticut community colleges may have this requirement waived; contact the Office of the Dean of Education and Professional Studies for details.
2. A minimum of 2.70 cumulative GPA at CCSU and a minimum 2.70 cumulative GPA including all undergraduate coursework taken at all institutions (including CCSU). Students may appeal for a waiver of the GPA requirement based on demonstrated academic ability and intervening life experience; click here for more details. Some programs have additional GPA requirements. See requirements specific to each program for details.
NOTE: Due to pending modifications in Connecticut state teacher certification requirements, the GPA requirement for teacher certification is subject to change. Although it is ultimately the student’s responsibility to be aware of Professional Program requirements, the School of Education and Professional Studies will do their best to notify students of any future modifications to the program.
3. Passing scores for Praxis I (PPST) or official waiver.
The Praxis I Pre-Professional Skills Tests (PPST) are basic skills tests in reading, writing, and mathematics. Click here for details about Praxis I. Click here for information on official waivers.
4. Competence in writing as evidenced by an essay demonstrating a command of the English language, describing why you want to teach and enroll in the professional program and emphasizing experiences relevant to teaching.
5. A successful interview demonstrating an acceptable standard of knowledge, skills, and professional dispositions important to effective teaching performance.
6. Satisfactory completion of or, in some cases, enrollment in, prerequisite courses and additional departmental requirements. Click here for details.