Graduate Student Association Funding for Travel, Research and Graduate Societies
The Graduate Student Association provides scholarships to Graduate students who want to attend professional conferences or complete research. The purpose of these scholarships are to help subsidize the cost of the professional development or research done by graduate students in support of their education. Graduate Societies may also apply for funds from the GSA.
All Scholarship Applications or Society Budget Requests can be dropped off at the Graduate School Office in Henry Barnard Hall, Room 102. Other arrangements can be made by e-mailing the GSA Vice President of Finance, Colleen Kerrigan at email@example.com.
Graduate Student Scholarship Requests
- In order to receive a scholarship from the GSA, you must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 and be matriculated in a Graduate program. The application will require you to submit an unofficial transcript to confirm your GPA. All personal information will remain confidential with the Graduate Student Association Vice President of Finance.
- Graduate students are allowed three scholarships (any combination of research/conference per Graduate degree).
- The GSA looks to fund those scholarships that benefit graduate students in their program of study and the campus as a whole, not those requests which are personal in nature.
- The GSA will only provide scholarships to resident graduate students. Resident graduate students are those that still participate in coursework on campus. A non-resident graduate student is a student that has finished their on-campus coursework.
APPLYING FOR A CONFERENCE/RESEARCH SCHOLARSHIP
- Read our constitution
- Obtain and fill out a Graduate Student Association Conference and Research Scholarship Request form.
- Please complete the form in its entirety and attach any additional documents which would offer more information to your request (i.e. travel, lodging, registration etc.)
- Return the request form to the Graduate Studies Office, Barnard Hall 102, or email it to the Vice President of Finance, by the Scholarship Deadlines listed below.
- Applications should be submitted and approved prior to making any travel arrangements. The GSA does not facilitate reimbursement.
- Be sure to include contact information, including an email address or phone number for any questions that may arise during the review of your application.
SCHOLARSHIP APPROVAL PROCESS
- GSA Finance Committee Guidelines.
- Upon review of your application by the GSA Board, your application will be reviewed by the CCSU Scholarship Committee. The Vice President of Finance will contact you via email to discuss the approval status of your application within a week of the CCSU Scholarship Committee meeting.
- Please allow at least 45 days from submission of application for approval.
- If your request is approved, the award is posted to your student pipeline account and then a check will be mailed to you.
- NOTE: If you are a student who utilizes direct deposit for your return of excess funds via the Bursar’s Office, your funds will be posted directly to your bank account.
The GSA reviews scholarship applications during the fall, spring, and summer semesters. Those applications turned in by the priority deadline will be reviewed first.
A secondary deadline is available for those with unanticipated opportunities. Scholarships turned in after the secondary review date will be reviewed on a case by case basis. These deadlines correspond with the university’s scholarship distribution process. Any application submitted after the priority deadline risks not receiving funds until the following academic term.
Priority deadline: Monday, September 16, 2013
Secondary review deadline: Monday, October 14, 2013
Priority deadline: Monday, January 20, 2014
Secondary review deadline: Monday, February 17, 2014
If you have any questions or concerns, please consult the GSA constitution or contact an executive board member.
DOWNLOAD SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION HERE
Graduate Student Society Budget Requests
APPLYING FOR A SOCIETY BUDGET
- Obtain and fill out a Graduate Student Association Society Budget Request Form.
- Please complete the form in its entirety and attach any additional documents which would offer more information to your budget application.
- Be sure to include contact information, including email addresses or phone numbers for any questions that may arise during the review of your budget application.
- The Society budget request should not exceed $2,500.00.
- Return the budget application form to the Graduate Studies Office, Barnard Hall 102, or email it to the Vice President of Finance, no later than Monday, October 14, 2013. Societies that are unable to meet the October deadline, or that form later in the academic year will have the opportunity to submit a budget for the spring semester deadline on Monday, February 17, 2014. Societies will only be permitted to submit one budget per academic year.
SOCIETY BUDGET APPROVAL PROCESS
- Upon submission of the budget request, the Society will receive an invitation to attend a finance committee meeting for final budget approval.
- The President and/or Treasurer of the Society must attend this budget meeting. If the President or Treasurer is unable to attend this meeting, another member of the society executive board will be permitted to attend.
- Please allow up to 45 days from submission of the request for budget approval.
DOWNLOAD SOCIETY BUDGET REQUEST HERE
Like us on Facebook - we post the latest meetings, events, and graduate student information