- The curriculum sheet for the BA English can be found here.
- This major requires a minor, but the minor DOES NOT have to be one of the English dept. minors, although it may be.
- For any student with a LING minor (TESOL, Descriptive Linguistics, Language and Computation), students MAY NOT double-count the LING course required in the major from their minor! They must take an additional LING course for their major.
- A C- or better in ENG 110 (or its equivalent) is the prerequisite for all literature classes.
- Each semester the department office prepares a sheet indicating what courses fill which requirements in the major. If a course is not listed under a particular requirement, it will NOT fulfill that requirement! The sheet will be available as we start pre-registration, either in hard copy in the department office, or here.
- ENG 298 should ideally be taken after a student has taken one or two survey courses, but before taking upper level courses.
- Generally, students should complete three of the 200-level surveys before they take upper division courses.
- Make sure students realize that they must take BOTH a 200-level World. Literature survey AND a 300- or 400-level World Lit course.
- Make sure students understand that “Electives” DOES NOT include writing courses.
- ENG 220 (Shakespeare) is the only lower-level course that can be counted as a 300/400 level course in the BA, either in British Lit pre-1798, additional British Lit course, or as an elective.
- ENG 491 and 492 do NOT count as electives in the BA.