AboutAcademicsAdmissionsAlumni and FriendsAthleticsCampus Life
Home >
_Content_ > ISSS > Immigration > J-1 Scholars > SEVIS Fee Information
page tools :

Contact Information 

International Student and 
Scholar Services (ISSS)

Phone: (860) 832 - 2040

Fax: (860) 832 - 2047

Toyin Ayeni
Immigration Specialist

Hoa Do
Immigration Support

Henry Barnard Hall
Room 123

Monday - Friday
8:30 am - 4:30 pm

SEVIS Fee Information

All new incoming J-1 Visiting Scholars who have been issued DS-2019 are required to pay a one-time fee of $200 when applying for an exchange visa to the United States. J-2 dependents do not have to pay the fee.

When do I pay the SEVIS fee?

The fee must be paid at least 3 business days prior to applying for your visa, or when applying for admission at a U.S. port-of-entry for those exempt from the visa requirement (e.g. Canadian scholars).  Scholars who are exempted from visa requirements should keep a copy of the SEVIS fee receipt to present at the port-of-entry with their DS-2019.

How do I pay the fee?

The fee must be paid to the Department of Homeland Security by mail or online.  It can be paid by you or by a third party, inside or outside the U.S.

  • Your SEVIS ID number (N00XXXXXXXX) is located in the upper right corner of your DS-2019;
  • CCSU’s Exchange Visitor Program Number is P-1-XXXXX on page 1, Item #2 of the DS-2019.

Pay by Mail

1. Obtain a Form I-901 “Fee Remittance for Certain J-1 Nonimmigrant.”

  • Download the form:  www.fmjfee.com
  • Request the form by phone at 1-800-870-3676 (inside the U.S.)

2.  Complete the Form I-901. Be sure to write your name exactly as it appears on your passport/ DS-2019.

3. Mail a check or international money order (drawn on U.S. banks only) in the amount of $180 made payable to “The Department of Homeland Security” along with the completed application to mailing address listed on Form I-901.

4. Payment confirmation can be printed anytime at www.fmjfee.com.

Pay Online

1. Find the Form I-901 at www.fmjfee.com.

2. Complete the form online.

*Write your name exactly as it appears on your passport/DS-2019*

3. Print an online receipt

4. Be sure to make copies of your receipt, and keep it with your other important Immigration documents

What if I lose my Sevis Receipt?

You can reprint a copy of your SEVIS fee receipt by accessing this link www.fmjfee.com. You will need your SEVIS Identification number, Surname/Family Name, and Date of Birth.

I applied to more than one school, and have more than one DS-2019. What happens if I pay the SEVIS fee for one school, and then I change my mind and decide that I want to attend the other school? Is my paid SEVIS fee transferable?

Yes.  But you must submit the DS-2019 with the SEVIS ID number that you listed on the I-901 form to the U.S. Consulate/Embassy. 

What if my J-1 visa application is denied?

The SEVIS fee will not be refunded.  However, if you reapply for a new J-1 visa within 12 months of the denial, you will not have to pay the fee again, as long as you have proof of the original payment.

email page print page small type large type large type
powered by finalsite