Sixth-Year Certificate Program in Reading and Language Arts
The Sixth-Year Certificate in Reading and Language Arts expands on CCSU's Master of Science in Reading and Language Arts and is aligned with the International Literacy Association (ILA) Standards for Reading Professionals. In order to prepare knowledgeable and competent reading specialists/literacy coaches, candidates in the program are expected to meet the ILA professional standards at both the reading specialist and literacy coach levels, which include the following:
- Candidates interpret and summarize historically shared knowledge of the profession and changes over time in the perceptions of reading and writing development, processes, and components.
- Candidates support classroom teachers and other education professionals in using instructional approaches, materials, and an integrated, comprehensive, balanced curriculum to support student learning in reading and writing.
- Candidates lead classroom teachers and other education support personnel in analyzing and using assessment data to plan and evaluate effective reading and writing instruction.
- Candidates provide support and leadership to educators, parents, students and other members of the school community in valuing the contributions of diverse people and traditions to literacy learning.
- Candidates participate in, design, facilitate, lead, and evaluate effective and differentiated professional development programs.