Looking for a work-study position?
Are you interested in LGBT issues and LGBT student support services? Consider working for the CCSU LGBT Center!
We need approximately 4 - 5 work-study student employees to help staff the center throughout the academic year.
The LGBT Center coordinates CCSU’s student support services for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, and Ally community.
- Download, print, complete, and return our application for employment along with your resume.
- Please return your completed application to the the LGBT Center Administrator in room 305 of the Student Center. (Take the elevator to the 3rd floor to find us).
You may also:
Mail it to the following address
CCSU - SALD / LGBT Center
1615 Stanley Street - P.O. Box 4010
New Britain, CT 06050-4010
Scan and email it to us at LGBT@ccsu.edu
Under the direction of the LGBT Center’s administrator the student workers assist in maintaining and staffing the Center’s offices. Student workers will provide information and resources to visitors and fulfill the daily operations of the Center. Workers are not expected to be LGBTQI identified themselves however all students working in the Center are expected to be familiar with issues faced by the LGBTQIA community and have an interest in LGBT student support services. Training on these issues and the support networks that are available to CCSU’s LGBT community will be provided.
Student workers must be willing to learn about a range of issues affecting the LGBT community and become comfortable speaking to students, faculty, staff, parents, and prospective students about LGBT life at the University and the services we offer. They will help represent the center and provide resources, referrals, and information about upcoming LGBT related events. Occasionally, student workers will be required to lend a friendly and affirming ear to those wishing to discuss sensitive issues such as the coming out process, supporting a friend or family member, or reporting a potential bias incident or discrimination.
Student workers must familiarize themselves with the in-house LGBT Center Library, our resource collection, and campus procedures for reporting incidents.
Student workers must become comfortable speaking with individuals about the safe sex materials that are distributed freely in the Center and be able to answer basic questions about their proper use for various activities with opposite-sex or same-sex partners. Training will be provided.
Student workers are required to complete a CCSU Safe Zone training session and are expected to maintain a healthy academic standing while employed.
*Applicants must have a work-study award in their Financial Aid Package to be eligible for employment.
General duties may include:
- Staffing the office
- Answering calls and taking messages for LGBT center administrator
- Providing information to callers when possible
- Helping walk-ins with questions, resources, and referrals
- Updating and maintaining various databases such as the library catalog. *Experience with MS Office programs is preferred
- Mail pick up, copying, collating and other general office duties.
- Signing students and staff up for events that require registration.
- Checking out/in library items for borrowers.
- Researching topics as requested and adding information to our resource collection.
- Utilizing your unique skills, interests, and expertise to make new contributions to the center and its operations.
- Creating promotional materials for the center and maintaining message boards.
- Assistance with campus flyering and tabling campaigns.
Please fill out the LGBT Center application with your work availability properly noted. You may return a completed application to the CCSU LGBT Center Admin office in the Student Center on the 3rd Floor, Rm 305 or email it to: LGBT@ccsu.edu.
Please email or call (860) 832-2090 with questions.