The LGBT Center provides a welcoming, approachable, and consistently staffed safe space for the CCSU LGBT community that focuses on providing resources and student support services for the University lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex and ally community. The Center’s efforts include providing campus programming around LGBT issues; LGBT student community building and networking opportunities; information and referral services; and maintaining a specialized literary and periodical library. The Center also organizes and facilitates diversity trainings for the campus community on the topic of LGBT inclusion, resources, and services unique to this community.
The LGBT center celebrated it’s opening in the fall of 2009 after much hard work by the One in Ten Committee, students, faculty, and staff of CCSU. It started with a conversation and the recognition that students needed a safe space on campus. While the Center is still very new to campus, we are already making an impact in creating a welcoming community for LGBT students, and educating the campus on LGBT issues and student services.
How to find us?
We are located at the very top of the Student Center. Take a walk up the stairs or ride the elevator to the 3rd floor "living room" area. We are room numbers 304-305.
The LGBT Center is for everyone!
Whether you are a member of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex and Ally (LGBTQIA) community, or someone looking to better understand LGBTQIA issues. Stop by and see us if:
- You want to learn more about LGBT life and issues.
- You are looking for support or information about "the coming out" process and what supports are available.
- You have a family member, co-worker, roommate, or friend who identifies as LGBT and you would like to know the best way to support them.
- You are looking for LGBT friendly campus and community resources like doctors, counselors, places of worship, coaches, and faculty.
- You are doing research on an LGBT related topic for a class project or paper.
- You have an Idea for an event related to sexual Orientation, Gender Identity or expression.
- You are looking for a safe affirming place to hang out, talk, or do your homework.
The LGBT Center is here for you however you want to use it.
Free condoms, dental dams, Non-latex F/C condoms, and lubricants are available at the Center!
Safe Sex is important whether you have opposite or same sex partners.
Our LGBT center staff are here to answer your basic safe-sex questions regarding these items.
24 hr Crisis Service links
CCSU Campus Police:
The Trevor Project
(LGBT Suicide Prevention):
1-866-488-7386 / 1-866-4-u-Trevor
Nat'l Suicide Prevention LifeLine:
GLBT Nat'l Help Center Hotline:
GBLT Youth Support Talk-line:
Gay & Transgender Hate Crime Hotline:
CT Sexual Assault Crisis Services
You can also talk to our on campus Safe Zone Members to find support and information.
Please follow-up with the CCSU
Counseling & Wellness Center
for ongoing support: (860) 832-1945
Marcus White Hall, Room 205