IT Announcement - 5/6/2016
Sunday Maintenance Reminder
Every Sunday from 12am until 12pm all Systems (e-mail, Banner, wireless, etc.) will be intermittently unavailable while important maintenance and updates are performed.
Weekly Maintenance – Reminder
Please log off your computer when leaving for the day every Thursday, but do not power it off. This will allow updates to be sent down to your computer on Friday after 12:00am. If you turn your computer off and leave it off overnight on Thursday, shortly after turning it back on, your computer will restart in order to install and apply any updates. If you leave your computer logged in Thursday night into Friday, you may lose any unsaved data you were working on when the computer restarts.
OUCH! - Monthly Security Awareness Newsletter
Courtesy of www.sans.org,
Click hereto view this month’s newsletter. This edition has a good article on the “Internet of Things (IoT).”
Blue Chip Card System Upgrade – Wednesday, May 18
On Wednesday, May 18 from 8:00am – 4:00pm, we will be upgrading the Odyssey Blue Chip Card system. During this time, all Blue Chip purchases (vending, off-campus merchants, laundry, etc.) will be unavailable.
Removal of QuickTime from Windows Computers
It has been recently announced that there is a vulnerability in the QuickTime media player software on Windows computers and Apple is ending support for QuickTime for Windows. Over the next few weeks, we will be using an automated method to remove QuickTime from faculty/staff computers across campus. There are two alternatives to QuickTime for playing media files – Windows Media Player (installed on all Windows computers) and VLC Media Player. If you would like to install VLC Media Player on your computer:
- Click on the Windows Start button in the bottom left of the screen.
- On the line that appears, Search Programs and files, type the word Software.
- At the top of the list, you will see the words Software Center, click on that to launch the Software Center.
- Check the box to the left of “VideoLan_VLC32”.
- Click the [INSTALL] button in the bottom right corner of the Software Center screen to start the install.
To read more about the QuickTime vulnerability, click here.
BlueNet Account Request System Update
On Sunday, May 1, we will be updating the online BlueNet Account Request system. With this update, we are adding functionality to request and remove network resource access (such as departmental netshares, distribution lists, and shared calendars/email accounts) for new and existing employees. This update integrates the BlueNet Account Request system with the Data Privilege system, therefore you may receive emails from Data Privilege to approve or deny access requests initiated from the BlueNet Account Request system. For more information and instructions, click here.
- Bb Learn and Grades -Have you considered using the grade center to configure a final grade for your students? Register for a training session to learn how!
- Want to know more about Office 365/Microsoft Office 2013? We have basic and intermediate workshops scheduled to help you enhance your current skills on the Office family of products. Please sign-uptoday to attend a workshop!
- New to Office 365 and/or Microsoft Office 2013? Here is the direct link to the IT Office 365support page.