Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Extension
Immigration permits lawful F-1 students the opportunity to gain practical work experience during their degree program and in their major field of study. This experience is called Curricular Practical Training (CPT). CPT must be approved by the Immigration Specialist at the Center for International Education (CIE) and must be an integral part of the student’s curriculum. In order for off campus work to be considered as CPT, credit hours are required either through the Career Success Center or an internship credit through the student’s Academic Department.
You must have:
- Valid F-1 status.
- Been lawfully enrolled full-time for at least one academic year.
- At least one course remaining to complete your degree program.
Required documents to be submitted to the CIE
- CPT Approval Form
- Letter of Employment:
- On company letterhead and signed by a company official.
- Stating a brief job description showing relation to your current major.
- Stating dates of employment: beginning and ending.
- Stating the number of hours per week:: full or part time.
- A new Form I-20 will be issued to you authorizing your CPT.
- Please submit your documents to CIE Front Desk.
- You will be contacted within 2 weeks to pick up your new Form I-20.
No coursework is required in conjunction with full-time CPT. Part-time coursework may be taken. If CPT is part time, additional coursework will be required. Immigration permits full-time CPT of less than one year. Use of one year or more eliminates eligibility for Optional Practical Training (OPT, post-completion year of work authorization).
CPT/Internship/Co-Op authorization by the Immigration Specialist is required prior to commencement of employment.