Visa Interview Information
A visiting scholar can apply for a J-1 visa earlier than 120 days or more before the program start date to allow for visa processing and security clearance delays. The DS-2019 Form will be issued to scholars by the Center for International Education (CIE). Please contact the CIE immediately if any information on your DS-2019 is incorrect.
Make sure you have a valid passport.
Pay your SEVIS fee either by phone, by mail or online at www.fmjfee.com and print a SEVIS fee receipt for your record. The fee must be paid at least three business days before your appointment at the U.S. Embassy.
- Your SEVIS ID number (N00XXXXXXXX) is located in the upper right corner of your DS-2019;
- CCSU’s Exchange Visitor’s Program Code is on page 1, Item #2 of your DS-2019.
J-2 dependents do not need to pay the SEVIS fee. Canadians Citizens are exempted from processing a visa to enter the United States, but still need to pay the SEVIS fee.
Book an appointment at the closest United States Consulate or Embassy to apply for the J-1 visa (except Canadian Citizens). For more information on visa processing, refer to U.S. Embassies and Consulates.
Documents required when applying for a visa:
- Non-immigrant visa application
- Visa application fee
- Passport pictures
- Valid Passport
- DS-2019 Form (issued by CCSU)
- Invitation letter from CCSU
- SEVIS fee receipt (Form I-797)
- Original Proof of Finance and Scholarship Information
If your visa application is approved:
If your visa is approved, you are ready to travel to the United States to start school. Immigration regulations state that you should arrive in the United States within 30 days of the program start date in Section 3 of your DS-2019 Form.
If your visa application is denied:
If your visa application is denied, please refer to United States Department of State's Website at Visa Denial. Central Connecticut State University cannot influence visa decisions made by U.S. Consular officials abroad.
Visiting Scholars are allowed entry to the U.S. up to 30 days before the Program Start Date on DS-2019.
Please contact Toyin Ayeni at email@example.com in the Center for International Education, if a Visiting Scholar is due to arrive more than 15 days after their Program Start Date.
Schedule an interview at your local U.S. Embassies and Consulates.
Required documents for applying for a J-1 visa:
- A Passport valid for the next six months
- A current DS-2019 Form (signed by you, item #8)
- CCSU Letter of Admission
- Completed Visa Applications (DS-156, DS-158, and, if applicable, DS-157).
- One passport size photograph in the prescribed format.
- Visa Application Fee
- A Receipt of your SEVIS Fee Payment
- Proof of intention to return to your home country