Maintaining Legal Status
It is the sole responsibility of all international students to maintain legal status in the United States.
- Registering for and attending classes full time (the undergraduate full-time course load is 12 credits; the graduate full-time course load is 9 credits) every semester with the exception of your last semester or in a situation where there is documented medical issue.
- Do not work off campus without authorization.
- Report change of name, address, major and/or academic level.
- Check the expiration date on Form I-20 (see Form I-20, Program End Date in Program of Study box on page 1) and start the renewal process in a timely manner.
All events that affect maintaining legal status in the United States must be reported in SEVIS by the University. Some of these events include:
- Full-time course of study reported each semester
- Change of address
- Change of academic level/Major
- Off Campus employment
- Program extension
- Suspension or withdrawal from school
- Transfer to another institution
- Reduced course load
Student information must be reported in a timely manner. Failure to maintain legal status puts you “Out of Status” and automatically you lose all F-1 status benefits. If eligible, you may apply for reinstatement processed through USCIS.