Fiscal Affairs & Business Services


Travel Authorization Required

An approved Travel Authorization (Form CSUFRS-30) should be submitted to the Travel Office at least two (2) weeks prior to travel. If the Travel Authorization is submitted less than two (2) weeks prior to travel when using the current State Travel Agent, the employee may be required to pick up their airline tickets themselves if electronic ticketing is not used.

An approved Travel Authorization is required for all out-of-state travel and in-state travel involving any non-mileage expense greater than $25.00 per trip. A travel authorization for out-of-state travel at "no cost to the University" is required to be on file in the Travel Office, and the appropriate auto insurance must be on file in the Travel Office if using a personally owned vehicle (see Insurance & Use of Personally Owned Vehicles Section for more details).

Failure to submit an approved Travel Authorization at least two (2) weeks prior to travel will mean that the travel office may be unable to render advances or prepayments as requested.

Travel authorizations received in the Travel Office after the travel has begun are not acceptable. In the case of extenuating circumstances, the reasons for the late submission must be documented on the Policy Exception Request form (Exhibit H) and approved by the traveler's supervisor, and will be taken into consideration by the Travel Office, which will consult with the Chief Financial Officer or designee on a case-by-case basis.

For in-state travel which is mileage only, or non-mileage in-state travel in an amount of $25.00 per trip or less, the submission of a Travel Reimbursement form approved by department head, along with a filed insurance document (if travel is by privately owned automobile) is sufficient proof that the individual is on State Business and prior written authorization is unnecessary.

It is the responsibility of the traveler to ensure that appropriate coverage arrangements have been made where needed (i.e. for classroom coverage, etc.)