Mechanical Engineering Program Objectives
The mission of the mechanical engineering program is to provide and sustain a quality, state-of-the-art education in mechanical engineering that enables students to develop specialized knowledge and experience required to practice as professional mechanical engineers or to pursue a course of analytical study. The program offers prospective engineering students the opportunity to explore an engineering field by providing basic core and advanced engineering courses.
An accredited program in mechanical engineering will serve the state and region by providing a quality engineering education that enables students to achieve excellence in their field of study.
The Mechanical Engineering program seeks to prepare graduates who, after the first few years of their career, have:
- Established themselves as valued practicing mechanical engineers working primarily in the region.
- Become supportive members of the community and active professionally, seeking continuous improvement of skills and professional growth.
Student outcomes describe what students are expected to know and be able to do by the time of graduation. These relate to the skills, knowledge and behaviors that students acquire as they progress through the program. The Engineering Department seeks to graduate mechanical engineers who, upon graduation:
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies