Computer Engineering Technology
The Bachelor of Science (BS) in Computer Engineering Technology program is accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET (http://www.abet.org). ABET is a federation of professional technical societies, and is a nationally and internationally recognized accreditor of college and university programs in applied science, computing, engineering and technology. ABET accreditation certifies the quality education of engineering and engineering technology programs, and is preferred by most employers. To learn more about the advantages of earning a degree from an ABET-accredited program, please visit: http://www.abet.org/accreditation/why-abet-accreditation-matters/
The Bachelor of Science (BS) Computer Engineering Technology (CET) program offers students in-depth knowledge and skills with computer related systems and devices based on the foundation of physics and applied mathematics. This bachelor's degree focuses on providing students with hardware and software skills for design, implementation, integration, and support of systems involving microprocessors, computers, and networks. CET graduates are prepared for positions in computer programming, system software projects, digital logic design, computer interfacing, digital systems design and trouble-shooting, circuit design and trouble-shooting, or as computer and network administrators.
Program Educational Objectives:
Graduates from Computer Engineering Technology program are expected to demonstrate:
- Technical proficiency by using and applying knowledge to identify, analyze and solve problem in computer engineering technology.
- Effective communication and teamwork skills to articulate knowledge, concepts and ideas (in a clear and concise manner by both oral and written form within interpersonal, team and group environments).
- Professionalism and ethics, including a commitment to utmost performance quality and timeliness, respect for diversity and awareness of international issues.
- Desire and commitment in continuing professional development and lifelong learning.
By the time of graduation, the CET students should demonstrate:
- An ability to select and apply knowledge, techniques, skills, and modern tools in engineering technology
- An ability to select and apply mathematics, science, engineering, and technology to engineering technology problems using principles, applied procedures and methodologies
- An ability to conduct, analyze and interpret experiments, and apply experimental results to improve processes
- An ability to apply creativity in the design of systems, components, or processes in engineering technology
- An ability to function effectively on teams
- An ability to identify, analyze and solve technical problems
- An ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in lifelong learning
- An ability to understand professional and ethical responsibilities including a respect for diversity
- Knowledge of contemporary professional, societal and global issues
- A commitment to quality, timeliness, and continuous improvement
Since computers and networks have been two of the leading technologies driving engineering job markets, graduates with competencies in software development and a sound knowledge of hardware and engineering processes will continue to be highly sought. Graduates of the program have a good balance in the design and development of hardware and software, computer troubleshooting/repair skills, and network installation/management skills. They are well suited for positions that are highly paid and in high demand, such as system administrators, network administrators, system designers, quality control engineers, and software developers. Other career opportunities include as information technologist, lab technicians, system maintenance, system testers, and help desk operators. Graduates are also well prepared to further their education in a variety of specialized areas.
Program Sheet and Program Flowchart:
Type of Degree:
Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering Technology